Help 96' Evinrude 150 Ocean Runner Cutting out

rhcb914

Recruit
Hi Everyone,<br /><br />Great forum here!! <br /><br />I have a problem with my 1996 Evinrude 150. It is cutting out at random. Sometimes I'll start it up in morning and it will run fine for a few minutes, I'll leave the dock the thing will seem to run fine then just die, as if I turned the key switch off. When this happens most of the time I can imediately fire up the engine, and head off and it will run great the rest of the day. Other times it will crank and crank for a couple of minutes then fire up. 1 or 2 times I needed to be towed in because I could not get it running again, just to get back to the dock an hour or so later to have it start right up and run fine. I have taken it to the local dealer and they at first couldn't replicate the problem. They spent a few days just starting it up and letting it run before it finally died on them. They noted that there was no spark. The tested the coils and powerpack and they checked out. Ended up replacing the wiring harness....all of this work costing about $1,000. Now we get the boat back and was fine for a day or so but now the same problem is happening again. I have contacted the dealer and they aren't being very helpful. They aren't an authorized Evinrude dealer, just a Merc dealer but some of the mechanics there are certified on Evinrude engines and have exp working at other dealers. I hesitate to take it back to the local dealer to have them charge me another $1000 to not fix the problem. Has anyone seen this problem before? <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Rob

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Help 96' Evinrude 150 Ocean Runner Cutting out

Sure, they all do it. Check the ignition coils for arcing to metal plate between the coils and power pack. If there are burnt marks on the plate and coils replace the 3 coils. Check stator output with a peakreading meter, as outlined in service manual.pack output test at full throttle in gear in water. Must do engine running test. Check connectors from engine harness to control harness. You most likey will find bad pack and timing sensor.

ehbarber

Recruit
Re: Help 96' Evinrude 150 Ocean Runner Cutting out

As the "co-mechanic" on this problem, I want to report that the problem was the power pack. Swapped it out and the engine runs like new - well nearly like new.<br /><br />Thanks for all the help.