Help 96' Evinrude 150 Ocean Runner Cutting out

rhcb914

Recruit
Hi Everyone,<br /><br />Great forum here!! <br /><br />I have a problem with my 1996 Evinrude 150. It is cutting out at random. Sometimes I'll start it up in morning and it will run fine for a few minutes, I'll leave the dock the thing will seem to run fine then just die, as if I turned the key switch off. When this happens most of the time I can imediately fire up the engine, and head off and it will run great the rest of the day. Other times it will crank and crank for a couple of minutes then fire up. 1 or 2 times I needed to be towed in because I could not get it running again, just to get back to the dock an hour or so later to have it start right up and run fine. I have taken it to the local dealer and they at first couldn't replicate the problem. They spent a few days just starting it up and letting it run before it finally died on them. They noted that there was no spark. The tested the coils and powerpack and they checked out. Ended up replacing the wiring harness....all of this work costing about $1,000. Now we get the boat back and was fine for a day or so but now the same problem is happening again. I have contacted the dealer and they aren't being very helpful. They aren't an authorized Evinrude dealer, just a Merc dealer but some of the mechanics there are certified on Evinrude engines and have exp working at other dealers. I hesitate to take it back to the local dealer to have them charge me another $1000 to not fix the problem. Has anyone seen this problem before? <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Rob

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help 96' Evinrude 150 Ocean Runner Cutting out

Hi Rob. Yeah, a problem like this can be hard to find but there are things to do to eliminate possibilities.<br /><br />When the problem occurs, immediately check for spark. When an engine dies without coughing or spitting, usually is an ignition problem. If there is no spark when this happens and it won't restart, take the cover off over the connectors on the top of the engine. There will be a one or two pin deutch connector under there. Pull it apart and see if the engine starts or you have spark. This connector takes away the stop circuit on the engine so be aware that if the engine does start, you wont be able to shut it down unless you choke it out or put the connector back together. If the engine does restart or you have good spark, then the problem lays in the stop circuit....which includes the key switch/safety switch. I would also pull apart the deutch connectors that hook up to the key switch and check for any pin that looks like it's been burnt or has been arching.<br /><br />Let us know what happeing.....thanks!

ehbarber

Recruit

As the "co-mechanic" on this problem, I want to report that the problem was the power pack. Swapped it out and the engine runs like new - well nearly like new.<br /><br />Thanks for all the help.

seabytes

Recruit

Originally posted by rhcb914:<br /> Hi Everyone,<br /><br />Great forum here!! <br /><br />I have a problem with my 1996 Evinrude 150. It is cutting out at random. Sometimes I'll start it up in morning and it will run fine for a few minutes, I'll leave the dock the thing will seem to run fine then just die, as if I turned the key switch off. When this happens most of the time I can imediately fire up the engine, and head off and it will run great the rest of the day. Other times it will crank and crank for a couple of minutes then fire up. 1 or 2 times I needed to be towed in because I could not get it running again, just to get back to the dock an hour or so later to have it start right up and run fine. I have taken it to the local dealer and they at first couldn't replicate the problem. They spent a few days just starting it up and letting it run before it finally died on them. They noted that there was no spark. The tested the coils and powerpack and they checked out. Ended up replacing the wiring harness....all of this work costing about $1,000. Now we get the boat back and was fine for a day or so but now the same problem is happening again. I have contacted the dealer and they aren't being very helpful. They aren't an authorized Evinrude dealer, just a Merc dealer but some of the mechanics there are certified on Evinrude engines and have exp working at other dealers. I hesitate to take it back to the local dealer to have them charge me another $1000 to not fix the problem. Has anyone seen this problem before? <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Rob

seabytes

Recruit

Rob,<br />I have 1993 Johnson Oceanrunner 175HP which is basically the same engine. I have a similiar problem with the engine cutting out. It usually starts with the engine almost dying buting coming right back and the next time it will cut out. It usually happens after I have used it for more than an hour and then gets progressively worse. It will usually start right up and then promptly cut out again after a couple of minutes.<br /><br />Of course at the shop they never run it long enough for it to conk out. I've been told to replace the coil and powerpack but I'm not sure what the problem is. If you find anything out let me know and I'll do the same.

clanton

Rear Admiral

You need to run engine on a dyno, or in the water loaded. Under load at operating temps, you should be able to locate problem in a few minutes. Most likly problem is power pack and coils. You can see the burnt spots on the coils without 20/20. Powerpack has always been a problem with this engine, and dont forget the ignition switch. You can check the pack output with multimeter on AC scale, times the results by 1.414. A manual would help also.