1992 48 hp evinrude lower unit

Von Jeffers

Recruit
I have a small oil leak cominging out of the lower unit by the small hole below the prop shaft. I need instructions on how to pull the lower unit and the lower unit seal. It would be helpful if I knew where to purchase a lower unit seal kit.<br />Thanks<br />Von

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 48 hp evinrude lower unit

need a better description. there are not supposed to be holes below the propshaft. best advice is to purchase a service manual, the best seal kits avalible can be had at your local BRP dealer. that unit can be serviced with basic hand tools. it does not require removal of the drive shaft to service all the seals. I have one to do this weekend if I get to it. gotta have minnow money :) :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats Von!<br /><br />Before we start tearing the lower unit assunder, could you please describe exactly where that little hole is?

Von Jeffers

Recruit

It looks like a half round hole in the forged casing surrounding the propeller shaft. I think I will need a gear puller to remove this housing. Is that correct?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

aint supposed to be any holes in the bearing carrier. is there anyway you can post a pic? and is this a saltwater motor ?

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Von...Are you sure you arent looking at unburned oil and gas mix thats just dripping from lower unit.<br /><br />Really black gooie looking stuff.<br /><br />Take drain screw out of lower unit and drain oil. Is it milky looking. Then it has water in it. You will need to reseal lower unit.<br /><br />If it dosent have water in it then I wouldnt bother trying to reseal it.<br /><br />Good Luck!

Von Jeffers

Recruit

There was no water in the lower unit oil. Why do I have so much unburnt fuel?

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

I dont know how much oil you are looking at. But most times when you see dripping unburned fuel mix its caused by poor needle and seats in carb's.<br /><br />If you do a lot of slow speed opperation. Then to rich of a setting on idel screw can do it. If you even have idel mix screws. some carbs dont.<br /><br />Motor can also just be carboned up bad. Should do a decarb on it once each season.<br /><br />You can find out how to do that in FAQ'S at top of forum. She will smoke like hell. Its suposed to, not to worry.<br /><br />Good Luck!