J/E Manuals from Ken Cook,Beware!!!

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you order what is said to be Service Manual Set(it sez at bottom "Set include all literature for your particular model"They do not.They include services manuals only, for all models made that year.They admit its wrong on the order site but havnt got around to correcting it yet.Dave :( :confused: :mad:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: J/E Manuals from Ken Cook,Beware!!!

Its been a long day so forgive me but I'm not following. You ordered a set of service manuals for a given year (1977?). What did you get? What did you think you were getting?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

In some years....and I can't remember right off the top of my noodle....the service manuals include all models in a "one book" manual. Did you specify the model year and horsepower you wanted the manual for? I agree with Mister D....you order a set for a given year and that's what your going to get....a full set. But you could sell what you don't need on e-Bay and recoup some of the loss.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

I'm thinking Dhadley he's talking about the entire manual set, ie the service, owner's, parts, and accessory manuals. is that what you mean Dave? I know you have options as to what combo of manuals you can order

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

never mind, I think I'm catching on to what OBJ is saying now

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

It looks like Ken Cook is back in the price game. A while back, service manuals were priced in the $75-$80 range. It appears they've revisited their pricing scheme.

FishMagnet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ken Cook still says $73.00 for the service manual for my 1960. Seems steep to me.

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

per they,re online order system I ordered service manual set for E140TLCE. they said set contains all literature for THIS particular model.What I got was a 15 lb box of manuals for all o/b manufacutred in 1989.They admit the site is in error. you dont get what it sez.only svc manual for this model was included,no other lit.I expected parts list etc. Dave

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Will they take back and return over fee's Dave? Again, you can sell what you don't need on e-Bay and maybe come out ahead or maybe even right here on iboats Thrifties. Haven't ordered anything from Cook Co. so I don't know what kind of fee you paid. I had a set of used 89' manuals I sold indiviually in my shop. Made out nicely on them.

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

I paid $105. + shipping for 8 manuals(which is actually cheap}But I didnt need them all.which I guess was stupid cause now they want $92.93 just for my 1 manual. I'll use SELOC. I returned them before I gave any thought to other schemes.dave<br /><br />I still cant figure how they can charge this price for 1 manual and only $12. more for 8.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

But what did you get for the $105?? Were they all for service manuals for a given year or were there parts manuals or???

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I would read it that part number 507751 is a complete set of service manuals for every outboard motor OMC made in 1989. I agree with you that 507758 is pretty expensive for just the single 140 service manual compared to the set. I'd bet they do that so they dont end up with a bunch of odd manuals. <br /><br />It looks like when you plugged in a model number they show you everything they offer for that model motor.

Paul Moir

Admiral

<br />507751 Service Manual Set $105.00<br />507758 Service Manual- $92.93<br />...<br />Sets are a complete collection of literature for your specific model.<br />
I don't see how you could possibly read it any other way. Thanks for the warning.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Well I'm glad I stumbled upon this topic.......<br /><br />I was looking at ordering a manual for my evilrude 25 1973 because everyone says (and I tend to agree) that the shop manuals are better than the rest.<br />Just couldn't understand why the shipping for a single manual was quoted as $69......now it all makes perfect sense.<br />I guess you could always fleabay the rest?

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

I,m not knocking Ken Cook,they have a needed service and I,ve ordered parts manuals before.I just wanted to advise anyone ordering the set that they,re site is in error.(and they know it} dave<br /><br />ps:I still think they should have a pkg price for all lit for your particular model.

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

I feel your pain Dave. I too purchased the "set" for my '95 ocean pro expecting parts and owners to come with the shop manual. Now I've got shop manuals for all '95s. I was pretty dissapointed but, after thinking about it for a while I decided to keep them. The accessories manual and the shop manual for my motor are well worth what I paid. Ken Cook definately needs to change the description on their site though! Anybody need a shop manual for 1995 evinrude? :D