residue, grease? in prop housing

Cpt Quint

Cadet
ran 50 rude with ear muffs since out 4 a while. next day i noticed about a tablespoon of a thick oily residue sitting inside the prop housing below the nut and cotter pin. looks much thicker than lower gear oil. never have noticed exhaust residue to build up like this? do not know of a grease point area either but material does look alot like spent grease. What is it? do i have a seal problem in my lower unit or is this normal exhaust grundge??

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: residue, grease? in prop housing

If it's black, it's most likely is unburnt TCW3 outboard oil/exhaust carbon mix that made it through the combustion cycle and drained from the exhaust housing. Check your plugs and mix ratio. If they're OK, and it's running satisfactorily, I wouldn't worry about it.<br /><br />If it's another color, tell us what it is.

Cpt Quint

Cadet

i would say black/gray milky color, thick like mayonaise. I was in fact running a rather hot mix of gas w/seafoam added to keep clean while sits out. so carbon run off would go along with what i was trying to do??

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice

I would clean up the mess and any residual oil/grease from around the suspected area and run her again to let her warm up then shut her down to see if the same thing happens again...just a thought :p

Catkiller

Recruit

ran 50 rude with ear muffs since out 4 a while. next day i noticed about a tablespoon of a thick oily residue sitting inside the prop housing below the nut and cotter pin. looks much thicker than lower gear oil. never have noticed exhaust residue to build up like this? do not know of a grease point area either but material does look alot like spent grease. What is it? do i have a seal problem in my lower unit or is this normal exhaust grundge??

did u ever find out what happen? or what the problem was with ur motor? I am having the same problem with an 8 h.p merc what did u have? thanks.

James

Rick.

Captain

James. Boatbouy got it right above. It is unburned gas/oil from combustion. Absolutely normal for a two stroke. It seems worse after running in a barrel than in a lake but either way it happens and is of no concern. Best of luck. Rick.