48 hp. Evinrude SPL help!

jps2

Recruit
I have a 89' evinrude 48 special model# E48ESLCER, On the last outing I noticed a weak idle. I had to put it in gear fast to get the boat moving, if I ran on a low speed it would simply die. On the way back though, it completely shut down and would not start again. I would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Walker

Captain
Re: 48 hp. Evinrude SPL help!

First thing you need to do is find out whether you are having a spark, compression, of fuel problem. Do a spark test.

jps2

Recruit

Thanks for such a quick response, the spark plugs are fairly new, but I will test them tomorrow to make sure they are given off a spark.<br />Thanks again Walker.

fireman57

Captain

JPS are you sure that it didn't overheat?

jps2

Recruit

No firemen57, I am not to familier with outboard motors yet, however I did just buy an evinrude repair manual with the parts diagram. How can I tell if the motor did overheat? it still cranks and I am certain it's not the sparkplugs or the fuel.

fireman57

Captain

Make sure that you have plenty of water coming from the telltale. You can also hold your hand on the head for a slow count of three before you have to remove it. Sounds like it might be time to clean and rebuild the carb as you probably have stuff in the low speed/idle jet. Kits are cheap.

jps2

Recruit

Thank you for your feedback fireman57, I had an idea that the problem might have something to do with the carb, It's reassuring to get an outside opinion though. I will do the test you recommended, and thank you again for your help!

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would set the idle up a little in the water and see if that helps. Just one screw to do the adjustment. I just fixed the same problem on a 1988 48HP SPL for my father-in-law, idles fine now.

jps2

Recruit

If the idle is not set high enough can that prevent the motor from starting, because it does crank, it just wont start. I'm about to go and do a little work on it right now, I will get back with you guys later, thanks for feedback monoshock, and by the way that is an awesome bass

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 40hp and the 48hp, if the idle is to low they will not start in the water, but they will start on the water hose at home. The idle on the water hose needs to be set higher. When it's in the water at the lake/river etc. it will run at a lower rpm from the back pressure on the exhaust. Most of the time you will need to readjust the idle in the water after you get to the ramp.