Manual Question... Ken Cook vs. Seloc

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a 63 rude 40hp.<br /><br />Been looking to get a manual for it, should I be looking for the shop manual, service manual, or the tune-up manual?? ( I will berebuilding the carb, changing impeller, and diagnosing ignition probs)<br /><br />Is there a big difference in these different kinds of manuals?<br /><br />Any preference on Ken Cook vs Seloc...

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Manual Question... Ken Cook vs. Seloc

I think that you will find the Ken Cook manuals alot better than the Seloc. The Ken Cook manuals are reprints of the OEM Factory Manuals. The Sloc manuals are generic, they cover alot of years, and alot of HP's in one one book.<br /><br />I would get the Service Manual, it should cover everthing you need, including tuning the engine.<br /><br />Mine covers a full tear-down and rebuild. As well as motor break-in proceedures etc....

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Awesome thank you very much Lark

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll 2nd lark2004. I have two Ken Cook manuals and love them both.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I don't want to get off track here, but the current price is $73USD from Ken Cook for that 40 page manual. Yes it's better, but is it $50 better? (or significantly more to us outside the US).<br /><br />Has anyone bought one of these? Any good?<br />acmeoutboards.com/

CATransplant

Admiral

Paul,<br /><br />I haven't seen those CD manuals, myself, but they purport to be copies of the big master service manual from OMC. <br /><br />When I ordered the factory manual for my RDS-20, that's what I ended up getting, a reprint of the big factory master manual...not a one-model service manual for my engine.<br /><br />Now, that's not a bad thing, since I now have a manual to cover all the 1 and 2 cylinder outboards going way back, but it's a confusing manual to use until you get used to its meandering style.<br /><br />I've seen this CD master manual listed on eBay quite a bit, and if the pages are readable, then it sounds like a very good bargain. <br /><br />The paper one is more than adequate to service these motors, and the CD version is much, much cheaper.<br /><br />If I didn't already have the paper, I'd snap up one of these.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ah, that would make sense then! Thanks for the info. :) <br />$73 doesn't seem out of line for that then. I though these were the same as the pamphlet style used after about '64. I should pick up one of those CDs though just to add to my library. <br /><br />(Rant Off) :D

CATransplant

Admiral

I do think those CDs would be a useful addition to one's library, especially if plans included acquiring and fixing a range of small outboards. I note that they have some for even the earliest motors listed. <br /><br />I'm not sure of their usefulness to me, but it's interesting that such is becoming available.<br /><br />I'd watch the eBay listings. It seems to me that these are selling for less than $20 there.<br /><br />The main problem I can see with them is that you'd be transferring the oils stains from the paper book to your computer keyboard, and that's not good. :D

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a Seloc for my Lark VII and I knew absolutely nothing about my motor. It got me through it pretty easily with a few minor details that it didn't mention. Picked up the Seloc for about $25 and it covers 1-40hp I believe. It's easy to understand and warns you of the things NOT to do as well as how to do pretty much everything. The wiring diagrams in the Seloc were a major help. I think if you know anything about outboard (I didn't...) you would have no problem with the Seloc either. I was just on a very tight budget at the time.

Paul Moir

Admiral

My old battered Seloc has served me well over the years. But it does have some pretty serious limitations. For starters, port and starboard seem to get mixed up rather often which helps make the section on link&sync frustrating and obfusticated beyond all reason. The carb section misses the most important part of a carb rebuilt - pulling and cleaning behind the core plug(s). And it's got it's share of stupid mistakes that haven't been corrected in it's thirty-odd years of publication. On page 3-24 it instructs you to "Mix gasoline and oil during the break-in period, total of 10 hours, at a ratio of 50:1". Author's apology on 8-38.<br /><br />The section on electrics and the section on controls I think make up for most the errors.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well Guys I think I have the best of both worlds then.<br /><br />I went to the library and got the Seloc Manual for three weeks (free), while my Ken Cook Manual is on its' way. BTW I paid about $53 USD for the Ken Cook with expedited shipping, so that sounds pretty close.<br /><br />Thanks again for all your insight, and thanks in particular to Paul for mentioning that Carb oversight as that will be one of the first projects I tackle.