Water Pressure Evinrude 112 HP

ralphmorgan

Cadet
Can anyone give me some ballpark figures on what the water pressure should be on a 1996 Evinrude 112 HP. I checked it today and it shows 9 lbs at 3200rpm and 14 lbs at 4400 rpm. Is this within range? The water is strong out the pee hole, even at idle. At idle the water pressure is about 2 lbs, that is in the water not on a flush device and water hose. Any help will be appreciated. I could not find an answer in the FAQs. Thanks

ralphmorgan

Cadet
Re: Water Pressure Evinrude 112 HP

Don't you realize that being new to this forum means that no one will reply to your dumb question.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

a manual usually has those specs. your motor is too new to check my manual.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If it is a 90 degree crossflow, has the correct waterpump, and the pressure relief valves are not sticking,about 12 lbs. None of these gauges are calibrated and may be off 5lbs high or low.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Where are you picking up the pressure for the guage. If you have a tee connected into the over-board indicator, you will have a low pressure, as you are bleeding off pressure at the back side of the guage. I have never understood this set-up. A guage will tell you the pressure where you can see what is going on, that is the idea of the guage. The horn in the control box will warn of an over-heat. My guage is tapped directly into the top of #1 cylinder, and reads 30 lbs. at WOT. If you have a guage that is right in front of you, why the over-board indicator that you can't see from the driver's seat without looking backwards, if at all? Go with the guage, and hook it direct.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Ralph when was the last time you put a waterpump in it. I'm not sure about the V4's but my 200hp 90 degree Looper runs about 8 psi at idle and about 30 psi at WOT.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets not confuse him. He has a crossflow and loopers read incoming water pressure so the two are totally different. RJ's right, a crossflow reads in an odd way but its all relative. 14 at 4400 is a bit low but that could be the gauge too. I had a Faria that went to 30 but never read over 15.<br /><br />Some of the early gauge kits said that if you wanted to see more pressure to add a restrictor between the overboard nipple and the T for the gauge. Hummm.........

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by R.Johnson:<br /> My guage is tapped directly into the top of #1 cylinder, and reads 30 lbs. at WOT.
Question: was this hole factory tapped and all you had to do was drill the back of the head? I have a tapped hole on top of my #1 cylinder on my Johnson 70 (86 model) that has nothing attached. Appears to be the spot for the water pressure gauge's water line. As is, I'm teeing the line from my overboard indicator. The reason being you can see a drop in pressure that you might not see at the pee hole.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I tapped this hole directly into the water jacket, 1/8 pipe thread. The engine did not come that way. I bought a low pressure guage that read's to #30, as I knew I would be dealing with low pressure, " #45 would have been better", most any guage, or meter is the most accurate at the middle, or upper end of it's range. I want to know there is water to the engine, meaning the pump is doing it's job. The hot horn will tell me if the flow stops. I don't want to look backward, and overboard to know that.

ralphmorgan

Cadet

My pressure gauge hook-up is T'd off the pee hole line. It was set up that way according to OMC instruction, accomplished by the dealer where I bought the motor. I replaced the entire pump housing and impeller last year and have less than 20 hours on it. I immediately noticed that the new water pump was not producing the same pressure as the old pump did, when new. I cleaned out the connecting hose after the new pump was installed. Unless I have some debris in the pressure gauge itself that line is clear. When the pump was replaced they also replaced the pee hole fixture. I wonder if there are different pee hole fixture sizes and I got one for a 150 hp?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Is there indeed a plastic piece in the pan or is the hose just sticking thru?

ralphmorgan

Cadet

It has the actual plastic fixture. I don't know if there are different sizes or not. The thought just popped into my mind when I was posting the last message.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

As long as it fits the standard hole in the pan its the right one. It should have a fairly small hole. At idle you can stick your finger on it to stop the water and actually watch the water pressure jump up.

ralphmorgan

Cadet

The motor runs fine and doesn't appear to overheat. I have stopped after running a couple of miles at 4000 rpm and pulled the cover off and laid my hand on the cylinder head. I can leave my hand on the head and also I can catch and hold in my hand the water coming out of the two exhaust holes right under the cowling. I may be worrying over nothing or the pressure gauge itself my be the problem and not the water pump. The replacement of the pump housing and impeller was done by a supposedly good local boat repair shop but I always wonder.