Evinrude 135 HP v4 timing question: IE how to without a wheel.

kevin88

Seaman
You may have this covered in a FAQ somewhere but I don't have time to research for the correct answer.<br />I have an 1974 Evinrude 135 HP v4 (135489b) and I have to set Maximum Spark Advance. I do not have access to a wheel and tank setup but I can take this to a lake and test on a trailer.<br />My book reccomends 4 deg at idle and 22 deg at 4,800 RPM and a max RPM of 5,200.<br />My question is this: If I set the timing while the boat is tied to my trailer should I set it to the specified 22 degrees or should I shoot for a lower number because of other unknown variables? If so then what number should I shoot for? I'm looking forward to putting this beast back together this weekend, timing it out, and giving it a good run. Thanks for any input.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 135 HP v4 timing question: IE how to without a wheel.

If you click on the search tab, you will find the answers you are looking for, type in WOT timing, it took you longer to type your post then to do a search.....<br /><br />And no I did not intend that to be sarcastic....

kevin88

Seaman

I think the whole dilemna about time that I was referring to was sorting through the 256 matches to find one that just might have an absolute answer to my exact question. <br />I'm wondering though how much time it took for you to type a reply when anyone could have spent that same time helping... I am sorry.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class

OUCH!!!!!! man I said I wasnt trying to be sarcastic.... <br /><br />The experts here on this board, and I am not one of them, suggest that you static time your boat 4* short of the suggested max WOT timing. The electronics on the motor make up for the remaining 4*....<br /><br />So if your max is 22* set your timing at 18*.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class

web page<br /><br />This is my first time trying to attach a link, see if it works.... just input your timing numbers...

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keven, the Key word about timing as suggested by DDBYRD3, is STATIC timing! That is timing with the Sparkplugs out & spinning the engine with the starter!<br /> I am NOT one of the outboard engine experts here>>>I just learned this myself this year>>>Below discribes how I set my timing & it works great. <br /> You can set your timing on the trailer AT THE RAMP. Back the boat into the water enough to cover the water pickups & make sure you are secure on the trailer & the tow vehical is secure.<br /> IF you can't get your rpms up near the recommended rpms, try tilting the engine up a bit & letting the prop vent a little. DON'T run without getting cooling water into the engine. <br /> SET timming to factory specs.<br />By the way, even after setting the timing by the static way as DDBYRD3 suggested ( a very good way to set timing) , I know most experts here recommend verifying timing by doing it like I did, or running out on the water with the hood off & hanging on.<br /> I just think its to dangerous to try timing while running 40+ mph on the water, inches away from moving machinery!!!<br />Good luck<br /> :cool:

kevin88

Seaman

Thanks all for your input. I have found the Joe Reeves method of timing but don't have access to a spark plug tester. And on a nearly empty budget I don't see one in my future. <br />I think I will try the boat launch ramp trick this weekend... I found that someone suggested putting a little white paint on the timing mark too. I think I'll try that, set it at the ramp, and then do a final check on the open water. After doing everything the wrong way and paying the price I want to make sure that my timing is done correctly without putting my motor at risk.<br /><br />AND P.S. : I apologize for being grouchy. Two abcessed(infected) teeth at the same time will do that to ya. It also limits my ability and time. I hope you understand.

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks all for your input. I have found the Joe Reeves method of timing but don't have access to a spark plug tester. And on a nearly empty budget I don't see one in my future.
Kevin, you can make yourself a homemade spark tester like I did for next to nothing. Here check it out. web page <br />As Boilermaker says, you still need to test it on the trailor. Usually 1 turn on the wot stop will change the timing by 1*.