no steering cable tube in clamp...????

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've got a 1972 Johnson 50 hp with no hole thru the transom clamp for the steering cable. Got a clue how I can rig something up to make my steering cable work? I've got transom mounts but the cable will not fit. Trying to figure out what I can do next short of buying a fairly expensive gizmo.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: no steering cable tube in clamp...????

there's the tilt tube setup, which utilizes linkage between the motor and the steering ram. that's what you don't have.<br /><br />there's a setup in which the steering ram is bolted directly to motor, go to the teleflex website to get more information on alternative setups

RandyJ

Thanks mikey...kinda hoping I could come up with a threaded pipe I could clamp to a bracket with U-bolts to take care of this. I found out today that 1/2" galvanized pipe won't work. Hoping someone knew of another source of good junk which I could adapt to this feat of back yard engineering.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

As another possible option, there are removeable mounting plates that include a bracket for the tilt tube -- plate fits under the transom clamps. I don't know if these are still manufactured, but it might be worth a search. It might be possible to fabricate one of these yourself, and it might be an easier approach than bolting something to the bracket. There obviously are also some major safety considerations if you are considering rigging something up yourself.

RandyJ

Yep...those are still available, and pricey. I'm thinking about building something like that myself using the tube out of a clamp on a junk motor. Wish I just had a junk motor with the same clamp but with tube for steering cable. I do have a couple of mercruiser inner transom mounts I could investigate...one kicker is that this old boat has a fancy jack plate on it that may complicate things even more. It will get interesting... I'm sure.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Randy, I think you are on the correct track by thinking about a tilt tube on a junk motor. You will need to clamp it to the transom or transom clamp with some U bolts.