1973 25 Sportster Evinrude: Questions Galore!

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Hi guys and gals,<br /><br />a quick thanks for this site:I've used it every time I've a problem and always got great advice so I'm hoping that people on the Evinrude side can help me.....<br /><br />The story so far: I have just purchased an Evinrude 25 Sportster which the seller reckoned was a 1972/1973 model. The model number is 25303AC serial is 93780, so the first obvious question is the usual one: What year is my motor?<br /><br />The engine hasn't been run since 1976 and stored in a garage ever since (it looks like it just came out the packing case!). I've read up and done some of the things on the "awakening an outboard" FAQ such as lubing the cylinders and turning by hand to coat the cylinder walls. I sprayed carb cleaner through, fitted new spark plugs, opened all the electrical connections I could find and sprayed them with WD40. I engaged the gears and checked the gear oil. I hand cranked it slowly with gear engaged to try to prime the water pump a bit. I then fired her up and she started no problems! Lovely and quiet, cooling water coming from the exhaust and the holes on the front of the power leg (no pee hole on this engine that I can find; maybe someone will tell me different?)<br />I intend to change the impellor/water pump PDQ and certainly before I take the boat out anywhere.<br />I'm also going to change the fuel filter and the fuel pump before setting sail.<br />Question 2: anything else I should think about changing/inspecting?<br />Question 3: I ran her up on a mix of 50-1 is this correct?<br />Question 4: How good/reliable are these engines?<br />I intend using her at sea and although I have a back up baby engine I'd love to hear from other owners.<br /><br />I intend to get/beg/borrow/nab/beat a manual from someone somewhere all I have to do is find out exactly what age of engine it is!<br /><br /><br />Question 7: (last one at the moment!): I've been offered a 50 HP Mariner PTT Oil Injection 2 stroke at a bargain price by a dealer friend of mine: warranty/controls/gauges etc : would it make sense to change in view of the Evinrudes age even though she has next to no hours of use on her?<br /><br />I'm off to track down a manual anyway but any help/advice etc that anyone could give would be most gratefully received.......and if you're ever in the area may even result in me buying you a beer!

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1973 25 Sportster Evinrude: Questions Galore!

DOH! <br /><br />I can already question one myself! It's a 1973 model and the manuals are available at Ken Cook Company.......now all I need to find out is if they post to the UK?