Motor runs at higher RPM's with hood off

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I run my 1989 90 HP evinrude I can only get 4200 RPM's no matter what the load.<br /><br />If I take the hood off I can get 5000 RPM's and if I trim it up I can get 5200.<br /><br />Some times with the hood on it will get the 5000 RPM's. <br /><br />I am still trying to figure out how to get the WOT RPM's within the proper RPM range.<br /><br />What is going on here?

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motor runs at higher RPM's with hood off

Sounds like you may possibly have an exhaust leak that is flooding your engine with exhaust fumes.<br />How does the engine idle with the cover on vs. off?

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

idles basically the same.<br /><br />maybe a little smoother without cover.<br /><br />How can one go about checking for an exhaust leak?

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

It would probably be leaking between the adapter and the powerhead exhaust, or possibly around the exhaust cover on the rear of the engine.<br />Anyhow, mix some dishsoap with water in a spraybottle. Start the engine, and spray the soapy water around any of the exhausts gaskets or seals and look for bubbles.<br />Thats how I would do it, but somebody else may have another method.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Has any recent repairs been done,and then this problem started ?<br /><br />DHP

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just rebuilt.<br /><br />carbs everything, had a shop link and sync.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Any chance the lower unit was taken apart,like for a reseal ?<br /><br />DHP

DHPMARINE

Captain

pull the prop,look inside.You are looking at the bearing carrier.<br /><br />there is an anode bolted to it,that should be down,towards the skeg.<br /><br />is it up towards the engine ?<br /><br />DHP

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will have to look next time I go out.<br /><br />I don't know what you mean by anode.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just returned from the lake.<br /><br />Anode is down toward the skeg.<br /><br />I couldn't find any exhaust leaks around the exhaust cover.<br /><br />That however is the only thing that makes any sense.<br /><br />Will I be hurting anything if I run it with the hood off until I can determine the problem?

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been researching this topic and found another problem could be the hood latch interferring with the spark.<br /><br />Does anyone know how to check for this?<br /><br />If I grab the hod latch with motor running and this is the case will I be shocked(I'll make sure I have someone holding my sign when I do this)?

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As an alternative, check this out:<br /><br />Most hoods have sound deadening material glued inside them. They also have an air inet towards the rear - often disguised as a grab handle. If the sound deadening (or any other debris) is partially blocking the air inlet, you're starving the motor.<br /><br />It doesn't take much. At WOT your motor needs a huge volume of air to mix with the gas. Restrict it even a little, and you could get the kinda result you describe.