Johnson ocean runner 225 hp heavy smoke

tarus29

Recruit
Recently my 225 hp model 225txeu started to smoke heavily. At no load the smoke was very heavy when I reved the engine. There is no real loss of power or missing at slow speeds. I also seem to be using more oil. I always had smoke at start up but after warm up it all but stopped. The engine starts at the turn of the key. Any help?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson ocean runner 225 hp heavy smoke

carefully test the fuel lines for any air leaks. try running off a remote tank. if no air leaks then most likly the OMS pump is bad. also test the cap vent. in the service manual there is an oil consumption test. its a pain but sometimes nessasary.

tarus29

Recruit

rodbolt: thanks for the info, checked fuel lines for leaks, didn't find any. tried pumping the bulb while the engine was running still blowing smoke. is it possible to disconnect the oil input and premix at 50:1 ratio wtthout screwing up something else. i used over a gallon and half oil to approx 35 gallons of gas. also since the air motor piston is constant to both oil and gas chamber, shouldn't this indicate that it might be a oil piston seal(can this be repaired? looking for answers?

Blueclaw

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the newer bom vro pumps can be repaired the older pumps only have a rebuild kit for the fuel side not the oiler. the vro oil side can be disconnected and oil line plugged. the wiring connector is then disconnected.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Listen to the "VRO" pump while the motor is idling in the water, not on a flusher. If you hear a rapid clicking sound, you may have an air leak in the fuel system, or possibly a bad VRO. To confirm, temporarily hook up a piece of clear fuel line to the pump inlet fitting and run the motor for a while. Anything more than an occasional small bubble is something to be concerned about and will make the VRO pump the same amount of oil, but for a smaller volume of fuel, creating a smokey mixture.<br /><br />Most healthy "VRO" pumps will click (pulse) about once every 3 to 5 seconds at idle up to about once a second at top speed.