Boysen Reed Valves, Should I Convert?

John Bett

Seaman
Hi, I have an Evinrude '72 125 and have seen that the boysen reed valves are better than stock in areas of idleing and performance. I am considering a purchase. Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Boysen Reed Valves, Should I Convert?

I don't think the reeds will hurt you,but I don't think you will see any gain on a 1972 motor,equal to the cost.Even if you just did a rebuild.You have a nice motor,but it has a lot of old technoligy.<br /><br />DHP

John Bett

Seaman

Thanks DHPMARINE, I have an opportunity to get the reeds cheap and am lured because I have heard that they will help idling as they are 2 stage, but if you dont think they will make any difference, I wont bother. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

My opinion is this. You probably wont notice much difference in the upper rpm range, (some engines do though) but you sure will notice a difference in the lower and idle range. I can troll all day in gear and the boat wont miss a lick, plus its nice to load it at the end of the day without it dying. Starts a lot easier. Just understanding the difference in dual stage and single stage helps to make your mind.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Basscat what is the difference between dual stage and single stage?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I have a 1972, 125 Johnson that I have been running on a 15 ft. Checkmate for years. I have made a lot of up-dates, tilt pin steering, different mid section with tilt& trim., jack plate, Raker prop, but one of the thing's that really helped mid range punch, plus out of the hole speed was Boyesen reed's. They have been in there now for at least 10 years with out a glitch. They are an easy change, and worth the money. Just be sure you richen up the idle. They don't like a lean spit-back, or backfie

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Cricket Too:<br /> Basscat what is the difference between dual stage and single stage?
It would be easier for them to explain the difference than me.<br />From the Boyesen Reed page:<br /><br />"But Boyesen found that the single-stage design incorporated in standard metal and fiber reeds had its drawbacks. \"One reed is not versatile enough to be truly effective at all points in the engine\'s power band,\" he explains. \"A thin, flexible reed performs well at low throttle but not at high rpm. A stiff reed performs well at top end but not at lower rpm.\" <br /><br />Boyesen Power Reeds incorporate an ingenious two stage design. \"The Boyesen design features a stiff primary reed with a port (hole) in it, overlapped by a flexible secondary reed controlling the flow through the port. A specially designed \'rev plate\' holds the assembly in place on the engine\'s reed cage,\" Boyesen explains. The rev plate replaces the engine\'s standard reed stop. <br /><br />\"With double reeding, performance is noticeably improved across the board, from idle to top end,\" Boyesen says. \"the two stage design allows our reeds to respond to any change in air/fuel flow as you accelerate or back off the throttle. There is a very definite increase in performance all across the power band.\" <br /><br />Boyesen says the bass boater who installs Power Reeds in his outboard can expect smoother idle, without coughing or sputtering, improved hole shot, dramatically increased acceleration, quick engine response to even slight throttle changes, a 100 to 300 rpm increase top end (with a corresponding increase top end speed) and increased fuel economy, due to better fuel atomization."

John Bett

Seaman

Hey guys, Thanks for the information. I am going to get them. Dear R.Johnson, I cannot ritchen up idle on my '72 125 evinrude because the screws are inaccessible. (or are they?) :rolleyes:

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, you are going to have to richen up your jets.<br />If they are idle fuel jets, go up 3 sizes.<br />If they are idle air bleeds jets, down 2.<br />The instructions will tell you what to do, plus they have a 1-800 hot line you can call.<br />If all else fails, ask somebody on here.

walleyehed

Admiral

Instructions acrually say 5 sizes "Richer", but as a starting point at or near sea-level, 3 sizes usually will do it...Idle fuel up, idle air bleed down...you have one or the other.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You have fuel jets, you go up three size's as Kenny suggests. They are under the small screw on each side of the carb. Use a screwdriver, ground, aa shown in the manual.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You have fuel jets, you go up three size's as Kenny suggests. They are under the small screw on each side of the carb. Grind a screwdriver to the shape shown in the manual so that you don't damage the jet when you try to remove it.

John Bett

Seaman

Cool. Thanks guys., I will print out your instructions, and report later on after I try them! :p :) :cool: :D

John Bett

Seaman

Dear Basscat1, May I ask your advice. I have a genuine evinrude shop manual for my '72 125 and on the carburator diagram, there are 2 kinds of "orafice plugs" but no jets. Are these the 'air bleeds'? there is one in the bowl assembly called the "High speed" (obiously not for idle) , and one in the carburator body called the low speed. Is this the orafice which I go to 2 sizes bigger? My book dosent show the actual tip of the extractor tool, but I can visually fashion one. The stock # for the low is "#30" and the high "72-c" Thanks!

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

The fuel jets are behind the plugs on each side of the carbs. Remove the plugs, use a small screwdriver, or as R.Johnson suggested grind off a screwdriver small enough to fit inside the hole. The jet will screw out from inside the hole.<br />Here is a diagram of what an idle air bleed jet would look like.<br /> web page

John Bett

Seaman

Hello Again. Well, being very confused, I called the Boyesen Tech at the 1800 # and he told me that the low speed orafice pug was indeed a JET and I had to DOWNSIZE. He said since more air was passing through that the mixture had to be leaner at idle. Now I am seriously confused.

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have the factory carbs on your engine?<br />Click on the link above. The diagram show bleed air jets, which you should not have unless somebody has changed the carbs for some later model carbs.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Youre OK, the tech is seriously confused. On a 1972 125 the idle jets meter fuel. To go richer, go bigger. <br /><br />The idle jets are, as the guys have mentioned, on the side of each carb. Youll need a jet driver or a modified screwdriver to get them out properly. Whatever size they are, go 3 numbers bigger.

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

LOL, thats hard to believe that I could type faster than anybody.