75HP Johnson Stinger Fuel Pump

agape1

Recruit
Can anyone tell me if 1977 75 HP Johnson Stinger uses the same fuel pump as the same engine year and model without the Stinger designation. I have been on line looking for either a repair kit or new pump and find that every site where the kit is available for this model engine (75ELR77, but mine has an S after the 77) has components entirely different than mine. None of the several different kits available for any year and/or model are similar to mine. I am willing to buy a new pump but want to make sure I get the right one. I have been having problems with the engine stalling when the throttle is opened. It has been in the shop 3 different times and carburators rebuilt, new plugs, one coil replaced, rectifier replaced, fuel line, bulb, fittings and gas tank replaced.Compression and fuel pump checked out OK. At first you could "nurse it"at slow speed for a few minutes and gradually open the throttle to full speed. It has progressively gotten worse so it won't run at all, except at idle and slow speed. I want to change the fuel pump to see it that solves the problem. Thanks for any help you can give.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75HP Johnson Stinger Fuel Pump

Welcome!!<br /><br />There was a physical change to the pump, thats probably why the kits wont match if you still have the old (original) pump. The easiest thing is to order a new pump.<br /><br />If pumping the bulb doesnt cure the problem, a new pump may not either.

agape1

Recruit

Thank you for your help. Pumping the bulp did help the last time I had the boat in the water. I will get a new pump.

bigd5977

Seaman

can anybody actually tell me what the difference is between the fuel pumps & if the DIAPHRAGM inside is the same or not,, i would like to see pic's so i can see the difference

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You realize this thread is 6 years old, you need to start a new thread.

bigd5977

Seaman

yeah,, srry ,, i did see this after i made the comment on here & i do apologize about it,, i have added to my original post & its the last comment in there under mine ( bigd5977 ) thread was posted at 3:46 today,, again i'm srry

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Not a problem, check your other post.