90 hp spl evinrude not charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpdlk33

Recruit
Have replaced stator and rectifier and battery. The system is still not charging. Is there a fuse a diode or anything else that could be bad that would not let the system charge.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 hp spl evinrude not charging

Welcome Ik.....how did you determine that the system is not charging? If you have a tach, is it still working? Most engines have a wire (red mostly) that goes from the terminal strip over to the solenoid and attaches to the solenoid terminal that the battery cable attaches to. Have you check this connection and wire?<br /><br />Please post your year or model number....helps with figuring things out.

bpdlk33

Recruit

tach did not work untill the stator was replaced. the guy working on it replaced the rectifier. he said no one would be able to fix it until it is completely broke. My volt meter does not show 13+ volts now and a volt meter in a depth finder only showa 12.0 to 12.5 depending on the condition of the battery. If there is a draw on the battery (ie; lights) the volt meter drops to about 11.8 volts and does not go back up until the lights are turned off.

bpdlk33

Recruit

this is a 1997 evinrude spl. it does not have a regulator. a stator and rectifier only. the engine is 150 miles away and I will check out the red wire next monday when I get back to the country. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

When you replaced the stator and rectifier, you replaced the whole charging system. That's why I asked about the leads going to the solenoid. Unless you got a bad "new" stator or rectifier, you should be charging....if the connections are sound.

bpdlk33

Recruit

I was told that as long as the stator is firing the tach, the stator is working. I do not know if that is true. I do not know if the new rectifier is good.

troska

Cadet

Do the following to test your rectifier:<br /><br />(Small Rectifier Test)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction. <br /><br />Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other. <br /><br />Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires. <br /><br />Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by lk:<br /> I was told that as long as the stator is firing the tach, the stator is working. I do not know if that is true. I do not know if the new rectifier is good.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

This is a very usefull post, I have the same motor, even the same year and have the same problem.

kingmaster

Recruit

:) I have the same problem with my 1996 johnson 130 in the manual it states there are three parts to the charging system 1. stator 2. rectifier 3.flyweel magnets the manual states that the engines flyweel contains the charged magnets which provide the energy to power the stator windings. these magnets must be at their original design stregnth for full altinator output. I have also replaced stator /rectifier<br />and still no charging tach works now so i will change my flyweel next and let you know.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ever see a magnet that went bad? Don't waste your money on a flywheel. Something else is going on with both of these engines. My bet is its bad or missing connections. By the way, running an engine without the rectifier (or rectifier/regulator) output connected is a good way to destroy it. So if bad connections are the problem, it/they are also the cause for the initial charging system failure. Disconnect both battery cables at both ends and make sure they are shiny clean. Examine each of the terminals where the cable enters. If there is evidence of corrosion that equals resistance and that means low/no charge reaches the battery. Replace the cable ends or install new cables. Then check the smaller red wire on the starter solenoid post that has the positive battery cable connected to it. If its missing or damaged, the alternator output cannot reach the battery.

kingmaster

Recruit

you are right its not the flyweel magnets i just tried another flyweel and still same problem. but i would like to know what wires control the charging system because i changed every part that controls the charging system. i am getting 12 volts at the purple wire, battery is also new. if the charging system was working i would at least get 13.5 volts at the red wire from the strip to the silnoid this is driving me crazy. <br />can anyone tell me what the two brown wires that come from the stator to the power pack does. thankyou for your help

aquasport guy

Recruit
HELP!!! IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. NO CHARGE AFTER REPLACING EVERYTHING ON MY 90HP EVINRUDE. WHAT DID WE FIG OUT?

Fed

Commander
There goes 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back, can I send you the bill aquasport guy?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
HELP!!! IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. NO CHARGE AFTER REPLACING EVERYTHING ON MY 90HP EVINRUDE. WHAT DID WE FIG OUT?

We figured out the original poster sold his power boat and is into sailing now. That must be the case because he never told us. This is the second thread hijack, it won't happen again. Please look at the Help Tip on top of the page and start your own thread. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.