Distributor and points keep fouling ('69 85hp Evinrude)

bloodymalibu

Cadet
Hello,<br />My 1969 85hp Evinrude keeps fouling the distributor and points. Looks like I might have the points straightened out for now, but this black junk keeps fouling the distributor electrodes and causing misfire. I have tried cleaning it several times and swapping it out with a spare to no avail-- works for a little while. Coil and amp were replaced last year (both aftermarket). Could one of these be responsible? Also new plugs (surface gap, whatever part # the service manual recommended.) Any suggestions? Thanks!

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Distributor and points keep fouling ('69 85hp Evinrude)

If the black junk seems oily,you may have a leaking upper crnkshaft seal.<br /><br />DHP

bloodymalibu

Cadet
Re: Distributor and points keep fouling ('69 85hp Evinrude)

Actually, I just took another look at it, and it's more like a dry, dark brown. I put a new distributor ring in last summer (after the new coil & amp) and ran it for about 3-4 hours total before I lost spark on 2 cylinders (turned out to be the points). I took the distributor ring off, and it looked like it had been on there for 20 years. About 4/5ths of each electrode was burnt. Not really oily, just toasted.