tilt and trim leaking down

Taylor/man

Recruit
I have just purchased a 48 special Evinrude motor from a friend...model no. E4ELSLESA...the problem is that the tilt/trim drifts leaks down once it is trimmed...The problem did not occur until he change the fluid on the tilt/trim unit...I am patiently waiting for the local Evinrude dealer to get me my manual to correct..but... I was hoping someone could tell me how to properly bleed the tilt/trim..I noticed two screws on the unit, one above the other...are these the bleed in the extended and retracted positions? Also, what fluid should i use? This forum was very helpful in assisting me in getting my stuck steering problem...I want to get back in the water, but my dealer is dragging his feet...thanx

fseventy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: tilt and trim leaking down

bump... I am having the same problem, but have not added fluid recently. Hopefully we will get an answer.

fseventy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: tilt and trim leaking down

After researching other posts, it was recommended to cycle the motor all the way up and down 3-4 times with the fill plug a little loose to help get the air out of the system. I'm going to try it this weekend and see if the trim holds.....