1972 Johnson 65 horse neutral safety switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezgo

Recruit
Hello. I'm new to the site, so please pardon my inexperience.. I have a 1972 Johnson 65 horse outboard (model 65 esl 72s). The motor was run a couple of times last year, but will not even crank over now. I have replaced the solenoid (I can get the motor to crank by jumping the solenoid), and now think the problem is in the neutral safety switch. I have tested the ign switch, and have power coming out when the key is turned to the start position. Can you advise how to test the neutral safety switch?

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 Johnson 65 horse neutral safety switch

The neutral safety switch usually is in the shifter control housing. Try moving the throttle shifter forward and back while holding the key.<br />You can test the switch with a multimeter.<br />I am not sure, but I think item 72 here web page might be what you are looking for?

Xcusme

Commander

Phillip, Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Basscat is right, test switch with a mulitmeter. You should get continuity when the shifter is in the Neutral position. When the shifter is moved out of Neutral, you should have NO continuity. In simpler terms, when in Neutral, the switch is closed, any other position, the switch is open.

ezgo

Recruit

Thanks Gents, I'll give it a shot this weekend. I had tried a voltage test, but did not try continuity. Should I have voltage coming out? <br />Now for the newby question.... It appears that the switch should be spring loaded... If so, my switch is unsprung.... Think there's a problem? Thanks for the help.

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Yea the switch should be spring loaded. Sounds like your on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.