Jet drive for 80 Evinrude

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
So I've got an 1980 (that's what I'm calling it) 115 hp Evinrude to go on a 18' Starcraft Aluminum and I'm thinking of putting a jet on it.<br /><br />I'm wondering how hard it is to swap from a standard drive to a jet. My idea is to buy the jet and use it only when hitting the rivers and keeping the standard leg for lakes (which will be most of my use). The rivers would be the Harrison and Fraser in the Vancouver area when the salmon are running. Is it hard to swap from one to the other? Are there pieces that would have to be replaced each time?<br /><br />I've found someone willing to part with the jet I need for $500 Cdn (maybe less) and another for $1,000. IS there anything to be wary of buying used?

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Jet drive for 80 Evinrude

I run an outboard with a jet lower unit. I have not taken the plunge to switch between it and the regular prop lower unit, but from everything I've read and everyone I've talked to I believe it to be a couple hours the first time and maybe 30 minutes after you've done it a few times. Assuming that you dont' have any issues removing the lower unit (for instance, if it's been a while and it's corroded), my understanding is that converting to the jet is easy, just make sure you get the water pump tubing hooked up properly (no big deal in my experience dropping and replacing L/U's from other engines). Hooking up the cables to a jet and adjusting the forward/reverse is easy - I've done it when I replaced the cables.<br /><br />I don't believe there's any parts that have to be replaced each time you change it. <br /><br />You can contact Outboard Jet Corp (find website and phone number on web - call them -they're very helpful and great) <br />for owner's materials which will give you info on how to adjust etc, for your particular model and will also tell you which specific model you need for your outboard. My Seloc outboard manual for my engine has a section on jet units which is clear generic info on how to maintain, install, deal with impeller adjustment/shimming, etc. I dont' know if OEM manual tells same.<br /><br />As for a used jet unit - you should be able to visually inspect the functional parts, it's really pretty simple and it's all easy to see. The impeller is like a prop - it can be in excellent shape or beat up and need of replacement. I'd recommend dropping the impeller and taking a look at it and this will also alert you to any corrosion issues. The are easy to touch up/sharpen with a file.<br /><br />The value of a jet unit with a stainless impeller vs. an aluminum is similar to a prop - about $3-500 more for stainless. I strongly recommend stainless if you have the option. It gives better performance and is much stronger for the inevitable knicks and dings of low water usage.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Jet drive for 80 Evinrude

The one for $500 is stainless.<br /><br />Thanks for the info. I'll check out the website.