Year of 9.5 hp Evinrude Sportwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

P51D

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm considering purchasing a 9.5 hp Evinrude Sportwin. The seller has listed it as a 1973 model year. The model number is 9322B, and the serial number is J 07865.<br /><br />1. Can somebody please verify the year?<br />2. Any problems in particular that I should look for with this model and year? (and I plan to do a compression test when I go to look at it)<br /><br />THANKS

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Year of 9.5 hp Evinrude Sportwin

Yup. That's a 1973, P51D.<br /><br />The only "problem" I know of is sealing of the exhaust. If the exhaust leaks under the bonnet the engine wont run with the bonnet on.<br /><br />Easy to recognise and easy to fix.

iwombat

Captain

Take the cover off, grab the top of the flywheel (not running) and give it a good wiggle back and forth. If it flops around, the motor mounts are shot.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If, instead of hijacking a 4 year old thread you just start a new one of your own you will get a lot better response.

Open the forum. Look at the upper left. Click on "create new post".

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

hi , i'm considering to buy the motor , see link

it at the dealer for maintenance, so the seller can't ive the numbers, but can u recognize something on sight?
i looks very nice
btw how can i post a new topic ?

link ;
http://www.kapaza.be/Watersport_en_boten/Motoren/16419326/Evinrude_9_5pk.html

The motor appears to be a 1967 model. It looks clean, which is a good sign. For 1966 they changed the latch for the cowling so that it was now a lever on the lower cowling, not a knob on the upper cowling. They also improved the motor mounts for smoother operation, and the carburator got some fine tuning for better economy at part throttle. Naturally a 1967 model carries forward with all those improvements.

Run 50:1 in it.

Rick.

Captain

I have a 1973 and it does have a few differences than the one in the picture. My upper cowling is white and the face plate (where the knobs are) is basically blue and the low speed idle knob on mine is different as well. I am not sure what that red wire is at the back of the inner cowling either.

Status
Not open for further replies.