1998 Evinrude Ocean Runner Issues

phinsup

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up this boat and I am told by everyone I talk to that this year motor was very reliable (it's not the FICHT).<br /><br />Here are my issues. I've put prolly 40 hours on it since I bought, it's always in my opinion ran hot, but never overheated the temp gauge is always near the top. At first I would be cruising along and it would just cut out... then come back to life, maybe a second without power, then it goes back to normal. It does this almost everytime I go out.<br /><br />Today I go out and am cruising along and it just quits...i crank on it and it turns over, but won't start. I've got brand new plugs with maybe 2 hours on them, I sit there, look everything over make sure it's getting fuel. I call sea tow and crank on it a few more times. About a half hour goes by and I crank it a couple more times and boom it starts, runs like a dream back to the launch.<br /><br />I don't get it, electrical? Is this a symptom of getting too hot? I've tested the temp sensor per my repair manual and it works.<br /><br />Any input would be greatly appreciated.