1958 evinrude 5.5 clamshell cowling

transakt

Recruit
Probably a simple Q for somebody. I just bought this 58 motor and the cowling was off at the time. I thought I'd just put it on at home but it's got me baffled as to how it gets put on. The shift lever is in the way. I assume there's some trick to getting that lever out of the way. What is it? <br /><br />BTW, it seems to run fine and it looks like someone had done some recent work on it.

sprouticus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1958 evinrude 5.5 clamshell cowling

how sure are you that it's the original cowling??????? Sounds a little funny that it was off when you bought it. I would suggest posting a model # of the engine, and perhaps a pic of the cowling on this site. I'm sure someone could tell you for sure if it is right. (It is amazing what some people on here know about boat motors.)

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my 1958 Johnson 5.5 CD-15, which is similar, I have to move the shifter into reverse in order to get out of the way of the latch on the side.<br /><br />Take a look at my tune up site for that motor. http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com I have a page there that talks about removing the cover.<br /><br />Tom Travis

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Transakt,<br /> Couple of things - all knobs must be removed from the carb. Sometimes it helps to have the bottom spark plug out before attempting to thread the cowling on. Shift handle side goes on first, then close the throttle handle side. Make sure all rubber grommets are in place and not chewed up.<br /> Good little motor! Run 'er rich - 24:1...<br /><br />- Scott

transakt

Recruit

Scott--I'll try that spark plug removal method as soon as I have time today.<br /><br />Tom Travis--mine does not latch on the sides, but rather, is split along it's length (longitudinally) so it latches front and back. The type in your photo would seem more practical.<br /><br />Sprouticus--I'm sure it's the right cowling. Maybe I'll try to remember to post a photo later.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

transakt,<br />I'll reiterate - all knobs must be off the carb, high spd, low speed, choke.<br />I thread mine on the front first (get carb shafts in place) then the shifter then the back. I think the shifter is in reverse. It takes some patience but you'll get it.

transakt

Recruit

Scott--taking out that plug made all the difference. Thanks for the tips. <br /><br />As for it running, that choke seems mighty touchy on this motor. Gotta get it just right to keep it running after starting it on full choke. That your experience or is it just my motor needing some fine tuning? Haven't really had time to run it long yet as I need to find a barrel. The bucket I've had it in keeps losing its water.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Transakt,<br /> Once warmed up, the choke should be completely off (in). You shouldn't have to run it partially out. If you are, then something is amiss in the carb. Could be as simple as the low speed needle being too lean, or it could mean that the carb is fouled with goo, dirt, varnish, etc. Back BOTH needles out 1/4 turn and try it again. If no change, then get into the carb and clean it.<br /><br />- Scott