impeller replacement 2003 Johnson 150hp

Rad Chad

Cadet
Having a very hard time replacing my impeller on my 2003 150 hp Johnson outboard. The problem is un hooking the linkage to pull it out. i you tube and still no help. it is very tight in there but i have no clue what to take off to get the rod out. i can see where the linkage is but can not unhook

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think you need to find the hitch pin.----It is on the shaft that goes under the carburetors.-----Report when you find that item.------And post the model # of the motor.

Rad Chad

Cadet
thanks, i can see where the linkage and where it goes down just don't see how to unhook, i have model # J15OPXSTM, thanks for the reply

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find the pin on the shift shaft under the carburetors !---It is item #47 on the parts list.----Remove that pin.----No need to post a picture.-----Then push the shift shaft to the port side.-----May need to rotate the shift shaft once it is pushed in.----Shift rod is now released.---Elegantly simple.

Last edited:

Rad Chad

Cadet
Thanks sounds simple i hope i can find it, where can is sees this item #47, is there a way to see the parts pic somewhere

stewtn

Seaman Apprentice
Just did this exact thing this weekend. Figuring out the linkage is a pain in the ass...
Here are my tips
1. Take the lower cover off (very simple only 6 or so screws)
2. You need two people, one to push the shift shaft while the other handles removing the lower unit you'll also need two people to line everything up once you put the lower unit back in place.
3. You have to take the air handler off to see the pin to pull.

The above instructions are correct but its a tougher job to get the linkage off/on than you would think. the actual water pump replacement is easy.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I do it alone every time...i have lots of practice though...it can be done...

brp website has the parts schematics

Rad Chad

Cadet
I DID IT!!!! WAS EASIER ONCE I KNEW WHAT I WAS TO DO TO REMOVE , STILL A LITTLE TRICKY...
WELL I DID IT BECAUSE MY WATER WAS NOT PISSING OUT WATER AND WAS THROWING THE HOT ALARM. WELL NOW IT IS PISSING OUT WATER BUT IS A LITTLE IRREGULAR REAL HARD THEN SOFTER BUT CONTINUES TO FLOW, WATER GETS WARM THEN COOL.. THE ALARM STILL GOES OFF THAT SAYS HOT BUT THEN GOES OFF BUT LIGHT STAYS ON.. MOTOR SOUNDS GREAT. I REPLACED THE PLUGS,THERMOSTATS, WATER SPERATOR AND CHANGED THE LOWER GEAR OIL... ALL THAT AND THE ALARM STILL GOING OFF. IAM CONCERNED ABOUT RUNNING IT AND WORKED VERY HARD. WATER IS FLOWING AS I SAID IRREGULAR. i AM NOT LOST ON WHAT TO DO AND OUR STRIPPERS ARE STARTING TO COME IN. PLEASE ADVISE AND THANKS FOR THE REPLIES THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I COMPLETED THE JOB