Water temp switch replacement HELP! 1977 Johnson 70Hp - 70EL77S

airbus320

Cadet
Is there an aftermarket external mount water jacket temp switch available? Can I drill and tap a new hole for an aftermarket switch? Looking for alternatives to replacing the temp switch or add a temp gauge, as I did a new water jacket gasket, head gasket & thermostat, not too long ago. In search of any alternatives to removing the water jacket again.

More info:
The water jacket mounted temp sensor on my 1977 70HP Johnson Outboard Motor is bad. I did the wiring check from the sennsor up to the buzzer in the control. The horn activates in the control center when manually activated from the and buzzer all check good, the sensor does not work. My son, who was trying to be helpful, turned the water off while I was running the motor in the driveway. By the time I realized what had happened, the impeller and housing was smoked. Luckily, no engine damage was done. But the buzzer never went off.

Thanks!

Joe

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
OMC used to make a temp gauge -- sender bolted to one of the head bolts. There are other versions to be had as well.