1999 johnson j130pleed fuel pump problem

jrodcustoms

Recruit
I have a 1999 sprint deck boat that is new to me. It has a johnson 130pleed outboard. The previous owner removed the VRO pump and fuel pump and replaced the fuel pump with an off outboard electric fuel pump. The motor runs great at speed but I keep having problems starting up after running at speed. The engine seems to be flooded. The motor will start and idle but then you throttle up it dies. After running at idle or running at low speed with the electric fuel pump off you can usually get the engine throttle up and turn on the fuel pump and run again but it can be very aggravating to get it going. Should I replace the fuel pump on the outboard or is there a way to run the motor without flooding the motor with the electric fuel pump?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Replace the fuel pump with the correct mechanical pump. The electric one you have is probably overwhelming the carbs and causing it to flood. Electric pumps should never be put on a carbed outboard.

jrodcustoms

Recruit
Any idea where to get a fuel pump without the vro pump. The parts manual only has the vro/fuel combo

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You will have a hard time rigging up two pulse pumps to that model. They make a fuel only vro replacement for less $. Search some of emdsapmgr old posts. he lists the part number there.

jrodcustoms

Recruit
It looks like part number 438559 for the fuel pump. Will that pump enough fuel for a 130hp? Also, where can I get a vac line to connect that unit? Mine was removed and capped at the pulse limiter.