1994 Ocean Pro Evinrude 175 hp outboard - Engine light and alarm at WOT

mgrossman_45

Cadet
I have a question about an issue I am having. The boat runs great at any RMP under about 4200, but when it is very flat and I want to Wide Open Throttle, it runs for about 1 to 2 minutes, then the Engine light and alarm sounds. I throttle down, turn off engine for about 1 minute, restart and I can continue, but not above 4200 rmp. I have read where is might be lack of fuel, overheating, etc... but just do not know how to move forward. I replaced all the nylon tyewraps with SS hose clamps on all the rubber hoses I could get to in engine compartment thinking I might have a vacuum problem.

Anything would help... Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What is the “beep” code?

how old is the water pump?

mgrossman_45

Cadet
Honestly, I did not know there were different beep codes .. Have not had it in the water for a couple of months, but as I remember it was Just a long steady alarm. I just bought it 6 months ago and the guy I bought it from said he just rebuilt the lower unit. I am a good mechanic but do not have the repair guide for this.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Plumb a 3/8" id clear hose in at cowl fuel fitting. Tee to a vacuum guage. You are looking for less than 4 in/hg with no bubbles. Report back findings.

this is probably either a bad system check guage/ sensor or a fuel restriction.

you could also try running on a known good portable fuel tank and a known good fuel line and bulb of the 3/8" variety

mgrossman_45

Cadet
Great idea. I will report back. I like the portable fuel tank idea. Great troubleshooting! I had heard it might be a fuel problem. I also heard it might be a oil pump problem and a water pump problem. But any of these are easily fixed.

Thanks
Michael