1957 18hp Johnson fuel tank conversion

Threesondaddy

Recruit
Hello All!
So I'm purchasing a '57 Johnson 18hp and am considering converting the pressure tank to a modern set up. This motor is a restored motor and functions perfectly with the current old school set up. I plan on actually using this motor quite a bit here in the salt water cape fear region in North Carolina. Any thoughts on this would be hugely appreciated. Also, are there any aftermarket suppliers that sell pressurized tanks? Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• photo286984.png
    photo286984.png
    949.3 KB · Views: 0

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If it functions perfectly with the original set-up, why would you want to convert it? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the original set-up. I have several motors that see regular service with pressure tanks. Only thing I do with them that I don't do with other tanks is release the pressure at the end of the day. Plus, if you keep it original then it is unlikely someone will plug in a different tank and accidentally run modern 50:1 mix in it.

lindy46

Captain
Monma Said...."if it ain't Broke...Don't try and fix it!!!"

Amen to that! And if it were mine, I certainly wouldn't run that beauty in salt water. If you need a pressure tank, look at the classifieds at AOMCI.org.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I used a couple of restored motors in brackish water in Maryland, and held up nicely (additional fresh water flushing and spraying). Agree, though, that the cool, clear (fresh) water here in upstate NY is less worrisome with current projects.

I run multiple motors with a couple of tanks that I maintain. Good suggestion on AOMCI source -- would add checking out a meet or two. Always potential profiteering, but less so with AOMCI imo. (Keep one for show, one for regular use.)