Evinrude 1950's High and Low Speed Adjustment

searchman2

Recruit
I have a 1950's vintage Evinrude Fastwin 7.5. I would like to know if anyone on the forum knows how to set the fast and slow idle settings.Model # 7522 18013

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 1950's High and Low Speed Adjustment

Welcome searchman to iboats!<br /><br />The year is 1957.<br /><br />Needle set up....from GENTLY seated, back the low speed needle out 1 1/4 turn. Back the high speed needle out 3/4 turn.<br /><br />Start the engine and let it warm up. While in gear and at WOT, set the high sped needle for best WOT speed. Now back the engine down and set the low speed needle for best idle in gear. Make the adjustments in 1/8 turn incriments and wait about 15 sec. between each adj. You will likely be turning the low speed needle in and will find a spot that the engine starts to cough and generally run rough. Turn the needle back out 1/4 turn and readjust for best idle.

mew

Cadet

My motor loses power at WOT, so I took it in to the shop and they adjusted the high and low speed knobs. It worked great for a day and then lost power again, so I'm going to give the adjustment a try myself. Is there a danger of leaning out the fuel too much and burning up the engine, or is this a pretty safe adjustment?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Your motor is actually a Fleetwin. The Fastwin was the 18hp of that year.

I would inspect the ignition system. Often times, faulty ignition systems will make us believe the carb is at fault.
Unless the coils were replaced, there's a very likely chance they're bad. Remove the recoil assembly and then remove the teardrop shaped inspection cover, on top of the flywheel. Turn your flywheel clockwise slowly and look through the hole and you will see your coils. If they are cracked, they will need replacement. Also, clean and re-gap your points at .020. Whenever I refurbish an ignition system, I will remove the entire magplate assembly and remove everything. I clean it entirely and and all the grease and crud out. The mounting ring gets repacked with fresh new grease.

Anyhow, post back and let us know what you find.