15hp Johnson tiller to remote steer

heichel1

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1974 Johnson 15hp tiller with electric start that I am trying to convert to remote steer. Currently my boat has a splashwell mounted steering cable but I would really like to convert it to the new style of thru the tube steering if it is possible. Does anyone know if this is possible and where I can get the parts for this? If it is not possible, where can I buy the brackets and hardware to connect this to the splashwell cable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 15hp Johnson tiller to remote steer

Welcome Lark!!<br /><br />iboats store has an adapter kit for thru tube steering....check the link below.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...5378800&*******=002946961&search_type=keyword <br /><br />Steering tubes for 9.9/15's didn't come out for a while after their introduction in 74'. There is a remote control adaptor kit for these older engines still available from John/Rude dealers. But this set up would use a transom mounted steering cable. There are a few "bolt on" steering tube set ups, such as the one in the link, which mount under the transom clamps. Check in with a local dealer and maybe get some more info on the tubes.....and hang around the forums....lotta' good info floating around here.

heichel1

Cadet

Thanks for the info OBJ! I'm having a little trouble envisioning how this attaches to the transom mount. My engine clamps to the transom (no bolts). I checked with my dealer and they said they said the splashwell was my only option. I really don't have much confidence in them.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Some will clamp right to the transom mounts and others are clamped under the transom clamps. The only thing about these are that you may not be able to get your engine all the way up into the "locked up" position.<br /><br />By the by....where in the great state of Ohio are ya'?

heichel1

Cadet

Okay, thanks again. I live in Lexington, just south of Mansfield. I boat at Charles Mill which is near Mifflin. I've been down in your area a few times...beautiful down there. I've been down to the Deerassic Park and also to the Salt Fork where a friend keeps his boats.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Lark....check the thread, "Steering Setup For Older Ob's". Nice set up. Got a picture of it.