1993 90HP Johnson starter

cleve

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Am I missing something on the top of my starter above the nut? I replaced the starter last year, so it's not OEM and have ran it without issue several times. But, this past weekend the nut came off on 2 separate occasions and starter bendix wouldn't engage. Both times I was able to luckily find the nut and retighten. But, when I checked it after getting home it was loose again. Johnson starter.jpg

cleve

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do you tighten up the nut ??

All I had on the water was 2 pairs of channel locks. Held the shaft and snugged the nut down. Worked fine, but won't stay tight. Guess I could put another nut on there.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Years ago, I had a Chrysler starter with that problem. Turns out the nut had a small indentation that had to be rapped with a screwdriver to hold after torque. Don't think I ever found out what that was called.

[edit. Actually, could be the indentation appeared after the guy smacked it. The nut held (vacation resumed), so maybe it's an old mechanic's trick -- or one they save for tourists!]

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You may find a hex on the bottom of the drive.----That can be used to torque the nut.----Drop of Loctite will help too.