Johnson 1955 CD-12 Fuel line Conversion

LouB64

Cadet
Hi, I am working on a 1955 Johnson CD-12. I'm in the northeast so its a little slow going due to the weather. I was thinking since I have the carb out for tune up maybe I should attempt to covert the fuel line from the old pressurized tank to the current single line with a pump bulb. Are the old pressurized gas cans really that troublesome and a fire hazard? The can I have looks its age. Would it be worth it to make this change? and if so, what parts would I need and how would I go about doing it. Thank you in advance.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Don't believe that BS about them being dangerous. ANY fuel tank is dangerous if it leaks. If you have a good pressure tank, run it.

Besides, while it is possible to do a gerry-rigged conversion on a 5.5, there is no real advantage.

My humble opinion.

LouB64

Cadet
Thanks F_R.. is there a way to test the pressure on the gas tank to make sure it has good pressure, doesn't leak. and wouldn't be a weak point to the fuel system. I'm not looking to add projects if I don't need to, just want to safeguard things. I appreciate your input. Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You can inject air into the tank via the side of the hose marked "air" and see if it holds pressure. Also the old soapy water test to look for small leaks.

Really, you ought to make sure the hose isn't old and hard or rotten. Also, the diaphragm is the trouble spot. Replace it if in doubt. Replace the tank top gasket and gaskets or o-rings under the screw heads while you have it apart. There are 3 versions of the diaphragm, according to what year the tank was made. The best kind has a plastic push button/primer.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I agree with FR but if you must you must ( no tank, lost tank leaky tank....).I did a few with success.

1- find a single line fuel connector and take out the dual line one ( or... use just the fuel side of the dual line and route it to
the new fuel pump inlet. if you use the old tank unscrew the cap for venting )

2- use the air nipple as a vacum pulse source by plugging one air channel and removing the check valve

3- mount and hook up a pump like a Briggs& Stratton# 808656
- pulse nipple to the pump's pulse port .............. middle front port
- side fuel connector to pump fuel inlet port (top & back) (do a blow test .....air flows in to out port only)
- fuel out port (bottom) to carb inlet nipple via the glass bowl.. prime the fuel line - pump & carb with the fuel line pump

4- go fishing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtG4M7ye1N8

Attachments

• photo284569.jpg
    photo284569.jpg
    828.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo284570.jpg
    photo284570.jpg
    934.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: