What year is my Evinrude VRO 225 hp. outboard?

Mako228

Cadet
Hello everyone. The manufacturers registration tag is missing from my Evinrude VRO 225hp outboard motor. Is there any other way to determine the year? I have been told that it is a 1990, but I think it may be a 1991. My manual is good up to 1990, but some things seem different.<br /><br />Any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks for your help.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What year is my Evinrude VRO 225 hp. outboard?

model number thread <br /><br />take a look at this previous thread, it may help you find your model number. If you don't know how to decipher it, post what you find.

Mako228

Cadet

Thanks for the help D. <br />I read about the "Introduces" acronym in my manual. I will search the power head for the model number.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />Mako

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Those should be pretty much identical. What is it you see as different?

Mako228

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Dhadley. I am having a no spark issue with my outboard. It started as a loss in power, and now it won't start. I connected an in-line spark tester and could not get spark from any cylinder. When I checked the plugs two of them looked brand new with no signs of wear. I did a compression test and all of the cylinders checked out. I was looking through the wiring diagrams (my manual goes up to 1990) and they looked different then what I have. Esp. the power pack diagram. I'm pretty mechanical, but I'm thinking I should have an Evinrude tech look at it. Thanks for your help. Any suggections?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The power packs from 1988 to 95 were all pretty much the same with minor changes in connectors. Describe what your pack looks like. How many bolts hold it down?

Mako228

Cadet

The pack is mounted above the flywheel. There are 4 fasteners. Two are bolts (one long, one short) and two are nuts.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Mako - just a thought (repeating what I went on and on about in the thread I referenced :eek: ). Is this a rebuilt or remanufactured engine? If so, the ignition components might be of a different era than the powerhead, and this might relate to what you're seeing vs. what's in the manual.<br /><br />Also, what kind of manual is it? Sometimes the aftermarket (Seloc, Clymers) aren't as accurate as the OEM service manuals. Sometimes, the do have the right pictures and diagrams, but the references are messed up so you have to search for your engine's components other than where the index tells you.