information on evinrude lark IV

hemi1984

Recruit
I just bought a boat with a evinrude lark IV motor. From what I have read on this site its an early 60's model with 40 hp. any information on the moter would help me out. model # 35932 Serial # 01398 thanks

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: information on evinrude lark IV

That's a 1962 model. Lots of folks here on iboats have these motors, which were produced from the late 50's as 35hp, and on into the early 70's.<br /><br />They're among the sturdiest and best-running outboards ever made. The 40s act more like 50s, and the engines are quiet as can be.<br /><br />You'll find a number of threads here on them, most about the Johnson verion. The Evinrudes are identical.<br /><br />Get yours running right, and you'll have an outboard that will serve you well for many years.

hemi1984

Recruit

thanks for the info i got it to start up but need a carb kit. i'm not sure which kit to get i'm having a little trouble matching numbers since it's so old.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Get the carb kit from the dealer (PN 439074) because it comes with a new plastic float to replace the troublesome cork one. Price difference is a couple bucks.<br />The aftermarket one is 18-7010, but I wouldn't get it if I were you. The factory one can be gotten from maxrules.com<br />A little more info:<br />Spark plugs - champion J4C (replacing J4J) gapped at .030"<br />Lower unit oil - If manual shift, OMC/BRP 'HiVis' or other brand 80/90 weight outboard gearcase oil. If electric shift, OMC/BRP 'Premium Blend' _only_.<br />Fuel oil mix - 24:1 87 octane gas to TC-W3 outboard oil. You may go less if you really want - see the oil mix FAQ in the FAQ forum for details.