1988 johnson 25 info

zackduncan40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1988 johnson 25hp, the model number is AEM-25B but i have Tried to look that model number up for replacement parts and no where recognizes that model number... is there an interchangeable model number i can Order parts from or something? And also what oil ratio should i mix With this motor? Thanks

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
AEM25B is a 1988 Johnson 25hp Military model...
​Not sure which consumer version is the "Sister" to it, but you have a military model number..
​I'm sure someone can tell you which consumer model number to use for getting parts...

​Being a 1988, I'm guessing the oil mix is 50:1, but being a military model, I can't say for sure...

jasper60103

Commander
I have a 1988 johnson 25hp, the model number is AEM-25B but i have Tried to look that model number up for replacement parts and no where recognizes that model number... is there an interchangeable model number i can Order parts from or something? And also what oil ratio should i mix With this motor? Thanks

I have an '88 30 HP Johnson, which is run 50:1.
I can't answer you questions, but would love to see pics of your motor.
Also, what parts are you looking for?

zackduncan40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I can Post pics later of it but i am Just looking for a replacement pull rope, i have The assembly part but the rope is broken

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I think the recoil is the same as the civilian engines, so the rope/cord would also be the same

zackduncan40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Do you know what size it would be? I would Prefer to just go to my local hardware store and get some from them and do you know approximately how much?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, I can't say what you EXACTLY need, but...

​Based on a civilian model J25RCCA

Looking around at parts sites. (and assuming the one I found that had the rope is actually correct)

The rope original part#: 0316705 need 68 3/4 inches of it.
replaced by: 0772578 7/32" diameter...
Sierra version (claims to replace 0772578) : 3/16" diameter..

So, looks like nylon rope, either 3/16" dia. or 7/32" dia. (very close to each other 1/32" difference) and you'd need 68 3/4 inches long..

​However, that's not your model number.. It is a 1988 25hp model number though...

​Wish I had some concrete info for you, but that's as close as I can find...
Hope it helps a little anyway...

​(EDIT: Can always try calling your local authorized Johnson/Evinrude dealer.. They might be able to shed some light too..)

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I think genuine starter cord is a nylon rope with a metal braided core.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
And jimmbo makes a great point...

​With that in mind, and if in doubt, the part number is available right here at iBoats...
http://www.iboats.com/STRTR-ROPE-7-3...iew_id.1502867

​Looks like it's sold by the foot.. If so, then enter 6 in the quantity box in the cart and you should have enough.
68 3/4" is 5.73', so 6' should be good and trim it if needed.

Last edited:

zackduncan40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay guys i just took a part the pull start assembly and my recoil spring tip is broken off also.... 😕 anyone have any idea on what recoil spring i should put back in it? My local dealer said he had no idea what the sister engine to this one would be😑

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Time to learn how to post a picture of the recoil.-------Is the recoil fastened on 3 rubber mounts ??----Not all rope is the same.----Get the factory replacement !!

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here's the link to the recoil starter diagram for the J25RCCA I looked parts up for..
We know it's not your model number since you have a military version (Model AEM25B).

It was suggested that the rewind starter was "Probably" the same as most if not all civilian models of the same year..

http://www.iboats.com/Rewind-Starter...iew_id.1535529

Does it look the same? Can you identify the parts?
If so, then this may be ok to use.. However.....

If there is a chance you could post pics of your actual rewind starter (or any parts you have a question on), that would help immensely..

I'm a relatively new to boating hobbyist myself, but there are a great many pro's here, some retired, some active, and also a lot of "Hobbyists" that have done this type of work for up to 50 years or more.. (Much more knowledgeable than I am... lol)

I have NO doubt, that with pictures, one of these great folks here could tell you EXACTLY what you need, which would be better than what I might find..

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The pictures resemble the exploded diagram that jboute linked to (Not because it is in pieces). It also looks like the one on my dads 1980 35hp
The Cord is NLA.

It might be easier to find a complete used recoil. One from the 32 in block in the 1980s should match

Last edited: