Trimming Kills Motor

MariusB

Recruit
So, I've been having the same issue lately, I had a battery that was busy dying, then one day on the water, when I tried to trim it, the motor died. Battery was completely dead, had to start the motor with the rope, so I suspected it must be the trim pulling too much power. After I replaced the battery, the engine fired right up, the trim still caused the motor to die a few times, but got better every time I pressed the button, to the point where it ran fine while trimming. The next day though, the engine would not start, no spark, I suspect the CDI is dead from the tests I did and am waiting for parts from the states. I don't know if this is just coincidence that the CDI dies when this trim issue happened or if it is linked.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
sounds like a bad connection or a corroded cable somewhere and the voltage drop created by the large draw of the PTT is causing ignition to drop out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
We are totally shooting in the dark till we know what you are working on. In most cases, the PTT has nothing to do with the ignition system.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Model number, make, year, horsepower?? At the moment, we're envisioning a Ford 302 engine in a old wooden Grady White with a electric shift outdrive.:)

What work has been done to that engine lately?

If this problem you speak of is a true statement, you're obviously throwing 12v into the ignition system with the PTT switch. Dismantle that switch and rewire it properly.

NOTE!.... Strange that none of our comments (above) show up as being recorded on the previous page.

Last edited: