Newbie needs help with 1986 Johnson outboard

Aluminum5e

Recruit
Hello, I just picked up a 1986 Johnson outboard motor model number J8RCDE. The motor appears to be in excellent condition but I would like to change the water impellar and possibly the pump. Does anyone know how to disconnect the shift linkage? Internet diagrams show that this particular model year does not seem to have a bolt attaching the linkage. I am mechanically inclined but new to outboard engines and I really don't want to get in over my head on my first attempt at outboard care. Everything else looks pretty straightforward except dropping the gearcase itself. If anyone can help me to clarify this procedure it would surely be appreciated. Thank you ever so much. Aluminum5e

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
Look for an opening in the front of the lower leg or gear housing where you can see the shift linkage passing through. Usually looks like a 1/4" rod. I never had a Johnson motor but other makes I had had either a pin and cotter pin or a couple of nuts and a turnbuckle holding it together. It should be simple to figure out once you to find the right spot. If the connection is threaded spray it with paint before taking it apart or count the number of turns so you put it back together correctly.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????-----There is no shift linkage to disconnect.-----It just slides apart after undoing the 3 screws that hold the lower unit on.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I clearly stated that the shift rod does not need to be disconnected on this motor !

interalian

Commander
I clearly stated that the shift rod does not need to be disconnected on this motor !

Indeed. On this one, the shift shaft has a "D" shaped cross section and it just slides out of the shift mechanism when you drop the gearcase. Might need to wiggle the shift handle to align when re-installing the leg, but that's a breeze.