1972 65hp elect shift issues

Richard Stokes

Recruit
Does anyone know what color wire (blue or green) is coming out of the top solenoid ? And/or is the top one the neutral and the bottom one reverse?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The green alone is for neutral. The blue and green together are for reverse.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Upper solenoid is green wire, lower one is blue.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Electric shift is very good and reliable.----The solenoids are well made.---What is the issue with your lower unit ??

Richard Stokes

Recruit
Thanks info helped. I just messed up and did not label the wires before I cut them in prep to taking off the LU. For some reason the wires going down the unit are the same color after the connection point. May have been replaced at some point. Will know after I drop the LU today.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well too late now, but that is NOT the proper way to remove the lower unit. The whole cable disconnects at the top and pulls down and out with the lower unit. No need to disturb the solenoids or solenoid cover.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Ask questions before you act !!!------Mistakes can be expensive !-------If it shifted ok before then just hook up the wires.-----Test the shifting on the bench.-----If it does not shift properly just reverse the wires and you are good to go.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was going to say, on my 1970 60hp, there are connectors for the electric shift near the bottom of the power head that you can just disconnect. No need to cut the wires.

Knock on wood but my electric shift has been working great. For all of the negative press on the electric shift, it's been the most reliable thing on this motor so far!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Knock on wood but my electric shift has been working great. For all of the negative press on the electric shift, it's been the most reliable thing on this motor so far!

Both the Electric and Hydro-electric shift systems were well engineered and with only minor but regular maintenance(oil changes) were very reliable. The Hydro-electric moved the clutch dog so quickly hardly any wear occurred even after many years of use. The pure Electric shift did suffer the odd busted spring, but if shifting was done strictly at low idle, an owner could expect many years, if not decades of use

LG High Tech

Recruit
Just an aside here those wires run thru the water jacket it is imperative that the reconnection is completely sealed and waterproof on reassembly. Had mine fail because the previous owner had not done this and the wiring ended up corroding.
I was lucky enough to find an intact replacement cable but they are rare and expensive at this point.