Help Me Identify This Big Guy

Hey there guys. I have a Johnson 235. At least that is what it looks like. It has a serial plate on it, but it was painted over with some enamel and am having a hard time getting it off and readable. I know that the cowling was replaced at some point with a generic one, and even though it is a V6, it looks like the lower unit is off a V8 model (has the lower exhaust port above the prop like the V8 models). Can't find anything to help me, so I figured I would throw it out to you guys and see if any one has an idea. Thanks again for the help. here are the pics:

Attachments

• photo282016.jpg
    photo282016.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo282017.jpg
    photo282017.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo282018.jpg
    photo282018.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A V6 powerhead on a V8 midsection, lower unit not known, covered by not sure. A genuine FrankenRude.

There a some good paint removers available, try auto paint suppliers

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That is a old Johnson 235...midsection has had a Bobs exhaust housing added a crappy installed nose cone. A crossflow powerhead wont fit a V-8 midsection. The cowling looks to be homemade.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
That is a old Johnson 235...midsection has had a Bobs exhaust housing added a crappy installed nose cone. A crossflow powerhead wont fit a V-8 midsection. The cowling looks to be homemade.

Sort of reminds me of that Johnny Cash song about working in a GM factory assembling Cadillacs, taking pieces of them home in his lunch box over the years, building his own luxury vehicle of an unheard of description.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
It's been worked over. Belly pan isn't OEM, cowling isn't OEM. Lower unit has been modded, tower has been modded. Best to find the number on the welch plug on the block and hope for the best.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Sort of reminds me of that Johnny Cash song about working in a GM factory assembling Cadillacs, taking pieces of them home in his lunch box over the years, building his own luxury vehicle of an unheard of description.

'One piece at time' was the song

No Title

I will get a compression test next week. Before I took it a part it ran great, but had some fuel issues happening so this week I have the carbs off to clean and rebuild, but having a hard time determining what carb rebuild kit to get. Any ideas on this and where I can get em?

Attachments

• photo282163.JPG
    photo282163.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If the carb were sprayed with salt, I wonder how much got inside and what the bearing surfaces are like

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Poster says ---" it ran great "------I take that to mean that there can not be anything suspect inside !!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
many people say "it ran great", right up to the second it quit

I don't have your knowledge so I asked and told you what I knew. Way to welcome people into the boating community.