V4 and V6 port sizes

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Are the V4 140 and the V6 200hp Inlet ports the same size ?
Is it the extra 2 pots that make it the 200hp ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?----4 into 140 is 35 hp / cylinder.-------6 times 35 would be 210 hp.-----Perhaps reword your question.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Found this as i was looking for the answer
The 90 degree V6 crossfire outboard
  • The first V6 outboard was introduced in 1976. These engines were in production (with few changes) for 16 years (until 1992). The engine was basically a 90 degree crossflow V4 with two additional cylinders added to the top. Two separate 3-cylinder ignition systems were employed. The engines were available with three individual two barrel carburetors were never available with fuel injection and can be identified by the removable transfer port covers and deflector dome on the top of the pistons. They have been available in six different horsepower versions; 150,155,175, 185, 200, and 235

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well, the 235 hp in the later years has bigger pots.-----------There is a market for different hp motors.-----I believe factories build what people will buy !-------Economy of scale also comes into the picture !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
We have had a lengthy thread of V-4 crossflow modification.----That is , port size / throat bore / exhaust tuning all apply to the V-6 as well.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
We have had a lengthy thread of V-4 crossflow modification.----That is , port size / throat bore / exhaust tuning all apply to the V-6 as well.
can you provide a link to that thread?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
can you provide a link to that thread?

Just scroll back 2, 3, even 4 pages, and look for threads started by the OP. He has opened several posts pertaining to hopping up an 85hp. maybe he thinks the responses will be different this time

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Jimmbo You DO NOT have to reply or read my posts.
Why do you think all me post relate to my build ?
Just because you have years of dealing with outboards you think you know everything about them and that i should not ask questions.
I will ask all questions that i need answered. You don't have to read nor reply.
In Scotland we have a word that says and means a few things all in the one word.
Bolt !