150 Evinrude crossflows Run as is, or rebuild?

rothfm

Ensign
Curious what others might contribute to my thoughts....

I've had a pair of 150's for a few years. Bought a 1983 and a 1985 for 300 bucks total. Clean, freshwater looking. Was going to rework one and put on my boat, possibly sell the other. The one I started on awhile back, I rebuilt swivel bracket, Tilt-Tube, and resealed lower unit.

The 1983 has appx 75(maybe a little higher) compression all around. The 1985 has 90 one bank and 80 on the other bank.

I was going to take one fully down and rebore (the one for my boat)...But then was also thinking of doing the usual stuff, externals, paint, and just run it.

Do you think either of these PowerHeads sound decent enough to run as-is? Or what can I expect to see after a proper rebore? Will there be a noticable difference either way?

I dont believe these are the low compression heads but could be wrong.

I have the same motor. They are bullet proof.. I can't kill mine and it's cheaper to fix the little stuff. But once you loose compression part em out.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The 83 is crank rated, the 85 might be prop rated

rothfm

Ensign
I think I may clean one up well....TNT motor, paint, decals, the usual stuff and sell it.

The other I just might keep for a full rebuild someday (done by me) for my boat, or a redi-spare.