MP41080 Ignition switch

F_R

Supreme Mariner
?----They are easy to clean.

I suppose it is changing the subject here, but at least related. racer, you say the switch is easy to clean. I confess I've never tried to clean one, but have seen plenty of them blown because somebody connected 12v to it while troubleshooting the starting circuit. Yes, I've even done that myself (by accident). But doesn't that melt the innards and destroy it beyond saving? Just asking.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well, I have seen then with dirt on the contacts inside.------Simple cleaning and good as new again !

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I guess that means two possible reasons for failure.

oldrem

Commander
I'll be using the same switch for my '75 Johnson 40. I drew this up for it:

Ignition Switch.jpg

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I tried the push to choke on my 76 70 hp evinrude and it kept blowing the fuse thats on the motor. Hooked up a toggle switch for the choke and the problem was gone. Hope that helps

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I'll be using the same switch for my '75 Johnson 40. I drew this up for it:

Thanks. I removed the internal wiring harness with the male plug. Because the motor will be used by tiller. I plan on just installing the switch directly to the motor. So I will need to make up my own wiring.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the switch installed through the lower cowling ?---You have made sure that there will be no sparks from this installation ?-----Or made sure there will be no fuel leakage ever ?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Yes through the lower cowling. The switch is wrapped in a rubber sleeve that tapers down. And hopefully there will be no sparks and or fuel leakage.