tilt troll retrofit older omc

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am really impressed with the quality of the older Johnson/Evinrudes. One thing that makes me take out the mercury or suzuki motor a lot of times is that there is no troll setting on the omc 's. Even my 6hp, with the title "Fisherman" doesn't have this feature. Go figure

Has anyone ever home-brewed a viable retrofit. I mostly flats fish.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????------I trolled / fished with a 6 hp 1965 fisherman last year.----A borrowed motor at a friends camp.-----It never missed a beat over 20 hrs of trolling.-----What does your " fisherman " do or not do ??

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Those engines didn’t have stop button, so retarding the timing is what stopped the engine. Just select your idle speed and it will hold it

We had a 64 5.5 fisherman for many years. That motor was overheated to where the paint on the head darkened, run with no oil in the gear case, and no oil in the gas. It also was under water once when I rolled/flipped a boat. It never died just kept on going. Tough little engine. It was still running when my brother sold it in 97.

Last edited:

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I may have been mis-understood. What I am referring to is is a slight tilt setting so you can run shallow at slow speeds. It's basically a prop rod that gives you a quick tilt option. My 5.5 6, 10, and 18 don't have this. My 9.5's haven't made it to the water, but I believe they do. Without a jackplate in shallow water, it's either have this option, or pull out the paddles

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
BTW, what i mean by flats fishing is fishing large shallow flats that are 5-10 inches deep for reds, snook and trout.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That engine never had a shallow water setting. I guess if you are creative with some rod, a method of bending it, and a welder you could make something to hold the engine at an angle
At low speeds we used to just hold the motor in a tilted position at low speed to get through the shallows near the shore

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your going to go thru the effort of making such a contraption, make a jack plate or an adjustable kicker bracket.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am O.K. with a welder, but not set up for allum, or stainless (I'm a saltwater guy). I did make a jackplate for the Gheenoe a few months back, but it took me most of the weekend. I have 3 other boats that I rotate these motors on. Was looking for something that would follow the boat I was using. If I could streamline a design, I would do it to all the motors listed above. I wouldn't trust a kicker bracket on a plane.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the link. The one I made was very similar. Ironically, the boat I mounted it to I predominantly use a mercury 9.8 that has the tilt/troll thing attached .
I still plan to design something that attaches to the motor so it will work on any boat the motor is put the motor on. If I come up with a simple solution, I will be sure to share. If anyone has beat me to it, please don't be shy. The motors I plan to retrofit are my older 10's, 18's, 5.5's and 7'.5's. I sold my 6hp.