2009 E-tec 250 hp pinion gear

thatone123

Banned
Well, I am finally getting up the nerve to tackle putting 2 e-tec lower unit gear sets back in the cases. Chickened out or found excuses and started and stopped a half dozen times why not to go thru with it. I got the standard gear case gears in the case but here is a stupid question. How do you get the pinion gear in the case? I have the factory manual and they tell you how to put the nut on and etc., but I don't get how to fit the pinion gear in the case after sliding the gears in the case? Do you put it in ahead of the gears? It seems you need 3 special tools to do this job or is there a way to get around that? I have to take the gears out again anyway as to get the drive shaft bearings back in their race needs to be done with the gears out it seems.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The pinion roller bearings are installed into its race with heavy grease, needed to keep them in place. This is the first thing that needs doing before installing anything else.

The pinion gear is installed after the forward gear is installed. The reverse gear is installed ONLY after the pinion gear, nut, and drive-shaft is installed. Gear-case upside down, pinion balanced on the tip of a wide blade screwdriver (or whatever) and slid into place.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
which lower units do you have? The "lightening" cases need some some special attention...

thatone123

Banned
Joe, Upside down eh? Wow, that is the kind of special info I am looking for as it says that nowhere I have seen...I will try it. Jake,,,I don't believe it is a lightning but seems to be an M2. Waiting on gaskets now and have got the confidence now to tackle it. Thanks, Guys!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Joe, Upside down eh? Wow, that is the kind of special info I am looking for as it says that nowhere I have seen...I will try it. Jake,,,I don't believe it is a lightning but seems to be an M2. Waiting on gaskets now and have got the confidence now to tackle it. Thanks, Guys!

Yeah... upside down was the logical manner. Slide the pinion in place, have the nut sitting on top of it. Slide the drive-shaft in slowly, carefully so that you don't dislodge the bearing rollers. Now, with the threads of the drive-shaft just touching the nut, use a thin bladed screwdriver or tool of your choice to spin the nut into the threads.... If the threads of the nut and shaft are in perfect condition, the nut will thread on easily. Be sure to torque it properly... simply tightening it won't do!