9.5 shift seal/bushing stuck again

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I worked on an old 72 Johnson 9.5 about a month ago that had been sitting for a while. It had a seized shift rod in the lower unit. I ended up disassembling the lower unit, pulled the rod, tapped the bushing so I could pull it and then picked the oring out.

I just acquired 1967 9.5 that has the very same thing- stuck shift rod.

Question 1: Is there a trick to free these up and maintain the integrity of the oring seal?
Question2 Is there a way to replace the oring while leaving the bush in place?

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will say " it can not be done "----But I have replaced that o-ring without removing the bushing.------Use a pointy tool to get it out of there.------Squeeze / stretch the new o-ring to work it in there !-----After you are done you might say " that was easy "----Some will argue !!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hm-m-m-, that is very unusual, even in salt water. Especially to have two of them to seize. Could somebody have been in there before you and pounded the bushing down too far, mashing the o-ring? But if you gotta, removing the bushing is the way to go.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
Not having " the tool" I tapped my bushing and pulled it out with a threaded rod and a block of wood as per the Utube video The oring is easy to replace

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With the last one, I did tap a hole, I was just hoping to avoid the hassle of replacing and ordering a new one. I thought it strange as well, because I have now worked on quite a few of these old outboards, and the only 2 were 9.5'- they both had this issue. My guess is, it wasn't as much the salt water as the oring drying out and fusing to the shaft. I probably could have put more force into the lever (i did put plenty), but I didn't want to risk it breaking and figured it would leak if it was that bad anyway. I'll give the pointy tool a try, but I'm not holding my breath as I am definitely no jeweler. The last one wasn't elastic anymore and had to pick it out in pieces.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The " bushing " is a means to provide a groove for the o-ring.------I have never seen that bushing worn out.-----Even threaded most of the way throug it will still work for years and years.-----I have used the 3 ways of replacing those o-rings.----Have a bunch of new bushings on hand as well.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's great news. I guess I'll reuse the bush. Racerone, what are the three ways?

I tried to punch it out from the back and couldn't find a drift that would give me the right angle. What I did was tapp, ran a bolt through my double handle tap tool as a support hence making a seal puller. Someone also said there is a youtube video?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
# 1 is the factory tool.---# 2 is using a 5/16-NC tap for 3 threads.---#3 is replace it without removing the bushing !!!

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ahh, factory tool. Didn't realized one exited. is it a punch thing or something else?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Don't waste your time and money on the factory tool (304514). At best, they might work 50% of the time. Tapping threads in it works 100%.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys, sorry for the hiatus, but have been extremely busy at work.

Thanks for the video and link. Ironically the video way is pretty much exactly what I did the first time. I just never thought to re-use the bush though, thinking it was a guide and would be to rough to re-use. Glad to hear that I can!

AlTn

Commander
when reseating that bushing try having the shift rod in place so you can "feel" how much pressure the oring is exerting on the shift rod as you seat the bushing..just pull and push on the shift rod until it feels tight enough but not too tight...doesn't take much tapping on that bushing to go from ok to too tight

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I've found that dental picks work really good for replacing that o-ring. No bushing pulling or anything.

BigB9k

Seaman Apprentice
I don't know guys, the tool is like $9, and has worked great for me every time.
as far is it being stuck, are you sure you just aren't fighting the spring detent?

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a dental pick thing in the toolbox, I will give it a go tonight and keep you posted. Thanks