Submerged motor, got it running. Exhaust sludge leaking from behind prop.

healey8390

Petty Officer 1st Class
86' 110 Johnson, had to take motor off to do the steering/tilt tube. Was on the ground and got flooded during Harvey. We were one of the few houses in the area to not get flooded so if the motor is shot we are still blessed.

The water went about half way up so I didn't think it got into the internals at first but when I checked it did. This was a few days to a week later mind you. I took the plugs out and pulled a rope to expel what I could and then put trans fluid in the cylinders and turned the flywheel. I had a friend help my put it on the boat and took off the carbs and cleaned really good. It was a mother to get started and would idle good but would bog when giving gas. I noticed the coils were 'melting' onto the block so I ordered four new. It ran better but when I gave it gas it didn't have the power it used to. I felt the heads and the left side was to hot to touch and the right side wasn't. I tried running it with only the right side plug wires on and it wouldn't. Luckily, I had an extra power pack, put it on and it runs like champ seemingly. However, it has exhaust sludge leaking from behind the prop when i turn it off. It seems excessive and makes a puddle. I haven't had this problem before that I remember. The sludge feels gritty as well but doesn't seem like metal from what I can tell. Has anyone had this issue of sludge? Also, if the motor runs good on the water should I assume it could blow at any moment since it got water in the cylinders??

Attachments

• photo281666.jpg
    photo281666.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281667.JPG
    photo281667.JPG
    372.8 KB · Views: 0
It's just exhaust sludge that's in the chamber. It it smells like gas and smoke thats no worries. Gear oil smell it's lower seals. Also those motors are bullet proof. I'd run a few additives along with spray sea foam it to cycliders directly while turning flywheel by hand

I was walking through a marine the other day and all the old 2 strokes had a mud puddle like that under most of them.. when yoiu crank it a lot while working on it in burned gas loosens that stuff up making leak more than normal.... I call my motor the Valdes

F_R

Supreme Mariner
All that stuff you poured into the cylinders, plus the gas & oil that went through unburned when it was not running on all four had to go somewhere. You now see where that somewhere is.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If this motor had water inside for a long time and was exposed to air there may be a lot of corrosion on polished internal parts.-----Time will tell.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
a power wash enema. Pull off the l.u., and spray up under the powerhead -- hit the exhaust housing good. Remains to be seen how long it holds up -- have a similar motor (smaller) that went through something similar. Still running well.

healey8390

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Bad news, I cooked it. But. The irony is it probably wasn't from the flood. It ran great but we got into mud. I didn't rev it because I made that mistake before on another boat. Got out into deeper water but noticed no water pumping. I pulled the cowling and pulled the telltale hose and sucked on it and got water. Thought it was fine. Slow idled for about five minutes and put it on plane and it died. I'm embarrassed. We were barely in the mud, the prior experience I had I tried to bull my way out and it clogged but this wasn't close. I'm surprised but embarrassed at the same time. This is the 2nd motor I've cooked smh.

Attachments

• photo281724.jpg
    photo281724.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^agree. Clear signs of overheating? (smell, too hot to touch, buzzer going off....)

healey8390

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Pulled the head, head is damaged and the top cyl bore is scored at 5 o'clock, but not too bad to my surprise! I sanded it and can barely feel it, I think I can get away with a hone and replacement piston. Can I do this without splitting the cases?? Thank you.

Attachments

• photo281938.jpg
    photo281938.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281939.jpg
    photo281939.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Typical V-4 damage.-----The motor needs to come apart !!----And where are the water deflectors ?

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
a power wash enema. Pull off the l.u., and spray up under the powerhead -- hit the exhaust housing good. Remains to be seen how long it holds up -- have a similar motor (smaller) that went through something similar. Still running well.

If you remove the LU and spray water up the exhaust housing aren't you running the risk of shooting water into the crank case and any cylinder where the pistons have their exhaust port open?

I can see shooting water up the water pump's pickup tube.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
not likely. Would do both -- up the tube to clear passages in the power head. Spray the leg to remove some of the exhaust debris.