johnson 88spl new rebuild oil leak

wt van metre

Cadet
Thanks you sir.. i have the manual looking at tq chart it has main bearing bolt 228 inch pounds and crankcase head bolts 120 inch pounds.. question are that main bearing bolt the big hex bolts that hold the case together and the crankcase head bolts the ones on out side of the case and the 518 primer why do ya only put that on one half.. i do not see that in the manual. Just curious.. thats w.t.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No-----The crankcase heads are at the top and bottom.------I never use the primer and no problems !

wt van metre

Cadet
So if u dont mind sir what is the tq. On the big bolts on the inside of the case and are they the main bearings bolt. And the crankcase head bolts are the one on both end of the crank?? That for thanks info w.t.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
1/4" bolts in aluminum are 80 INCH LBS in most cases.---------Main bearing bolts, 6 of them 220-240 INCH LBS.-----Bearing heads are 120 INCH LBS.------Bearing retainer plate screws are 120 INCH LBS.--------You are working without a factory manual ??------When you are assembing the crankcase you work QUICKLY without interruption.----Especially if you are using primer !!

wt van metre

Cadet
No sir i have the johnson service manual and two Clymer manuals. They all say different things about using the primer. One say put it on both halfs one say only put it on one half only if u need to run the next day . And one says you don't have to use unless you are planning to run next day. And i still have a question the main bearings bolt are those the allen head bolts that hold the case together.. just trying to get this right so I don't have to tear it down again.. thanks for any info

interalian

Commander
You put primer on one side and the sealant on the other, then assemble quickly and without interruption as R1 stated. If you put primer on both sides it'll set too quick which could end up shimming the crank case, which you do not want.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps I am overlooking something obvious but I am not receiving a accurate picture of where this oil is actually originating from... that is "where it is first sighted".

If by chance you had attached the power-head base gasket (gasket between power-head and adapter plate) to the adapter plate instead of attaching it to the power-head when installing the power-head assembly... in all likely-hood, you have accidentally damaged that gasket in the area that separates the exhaust blast from the top motor-mount area which would allows the unburnt oil mixture seep into the top motor-mount area which would in turn flow down the front of the long exhaust housing.

wt van metre

Cadet
I have 2 separate leaks one on the case split between 1 and 3 cylinders. I have verified it with soup and water got bubbles there..the other is coming form the bottom some were. could be bearing plate bolts or the base gasket . I did put base gasket on the block not the adapter plate when i installed it. And the bottom crank seal is new. And the bearing plate bolts are new with orings on them. So iam going to replace the bearing plate bolt again. New base gasket. I still have a question in the parts breakdown they call them( screw to cyl case screws ) my question is what is the tq on the big bolts that hold the the case together the allen head one's .and joe what is your preference on using the primer on the loctite 518 gel for the crank case.. I appreciate your interest in my problem. And thank you for your time w.t.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your manual and post # 24 state the torque for the main bearing bolts.----There are 6 ( six ) of them !!

wt van metre

Cadet
Thank you. 220 to 240 inch #. The manual doesn't really show them. And the parts break down calls them screws . Thanks for your time

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I have 2 separate leaks one on the case split between 1 and 3 cylinders. I have verified it with soup and water got bubbles there..the other is coming form the bottom some were. could be bearing plate bolts or the base gasket . I did put base gasket on the block not the adapter plate when i installed it. And the bottom crank seal is new. And the bearing plate bolts are new with orings on them. So iam going to replace the bearing plate bolt again. New base gasket. I still have a question in the parts breakdown they call them( screw to cyl case screws ) my question is what is the tq on the big bolts that hold the the case together the allen head one's .and joe what is your preference on using the primer on the loctite 518 gel for the crank case.. I appreciate your interest in my problem. And thank you for your time w.t.

The torque of the main (large) bolts, including that allen bolt is 18 to 20 foot pounds

I have never used the primer substance. Rather I have always used either Lacquer Thinner or Acetone to do a final cleaning of the surfaces.

Whether using regular Gel-Seal or Loc-Tite 518 (same substance), I apply a bead of the sealer in enough quantity so that I can use my finger tip to spread it around all the bolt holes and close to the upper and lower C/C heads... BUT... keeping a fair distance away from the main bearings. Its appearance then resembles a blanket of sealer rather then a plain bead.

Both halves of the sealing sides of the crankcase obviously requires cleaning... BUT... the sealer is applied only to the side cradling the crankshaft.

Torquing the forward portion of the crankcase down causes a good amount of sealer to squish out the sides which of course is simply discarded. I've done this since Gel_Seal came upon the scene and have never encountered a problem leak-wise or performance wise.

In cleaning the old sealer, I have always used a heavy duty thick bladed scraper with as close to possible a razors edge that resembles a putty knife, taking great care to avoid gouging, then, "If Need Be", gently going over the surface with wet/dry 400/600... just enough to where I could see the machine swirl markings. The majority of the time, the razor edge scraper alone is enough.