99 Johnson 2 Stroke not running 100%

Kr4ken B4ker

Recruit
I have a 99 Johnson 2 stroke that just isn?t running 100% and I can?t figure out why? I think it?s fuel related but I don?t want to just start changing parts or taking things off that I don?t need and need some advice. The motor starts no problems and idles no problem but as I start pushing the throttle forward the boat won?t get up to full speed at all and won?t plane itself out with the trim all the way down. At full throttle I think I?m going maybe 8mph or so, and it?s really frustrating not know how to fix it, any ideas?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
What spark plugs are you using... Make, Type #, Gap?

You don't say what hp the engine is.... What is the model number of that engine?

Remove all spark plugs... Check the compression... What is the compression psi of "all" the individual cylinders?

Plugs still removed... With an adjustable air gap spark tester, the spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

Last edited:

Kr4ken B4ker

Recruit
I?m sorry it?s a 60hp, but I?m not sure on injectors I?ll have to look but I got the boat a week ago and me and the previous owner did a water test and it ran fine, how all of the sudden is it not working?

What spark plugs are you using... Make, Type #, Gap?

You don't say what hp the engine is.... What is the model number of that engine?

Remove all spark plugs... Check the compression... What is the compression psi of "all" thee individual cylinders?

Plugs still removed... With an adjustable air gap spark tester, the spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Doe it?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?----Is the oil injection system in use or is it bypassed ?-----Do the compression test first.----Did previous owner instruct you on starting / operating this motor ?----What position is the red lever in on the electric primer valve ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I’m sorry it’s a 60hp, but I’m not sure on injectors I’ll have to look but I got the boat a week ago and me and the previous owner did a water test and it ran fine, how all of the sudden is it not working?

Okay. we're gaining :) . We would like to have the model number of the engine so as to be absolutely sure of what engine we're speaking of.