69 fastwin starter problem

Tom Lovette

Cadet
I have two 69 evinrude fastwin 18hp motors on my 69 alumacraft. Electric start and choke. I've never had a problem with waiter but this last weekend I went to start one of the motors and all I'm getting a click noise. Starter isn't engaging up to catch flywheel. I was hoping someone could run me through a troubleshoot sequence. Thanks

lindy46

Captain
Battery fully charged? Cables in good condition? All connections clean and tight? Any corrosion on the cables/connectors can cause the problem you are experiencing.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Take some jumper cables and go from a good known battery directly to the starter motor and see what happens.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Yes. If it does you have other probs besides the starter motor.

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
To test the starter solenoid.... when it clicks in, check the voltage that exists at the large battery terminal of the solenoid. That same identical voltage should exist at the other large solenoid terminal that leads to the starter. If so, regardless of what that voltage may be, the starter solenoid is okay.

Dual Engines...... If you're using the same battery to start both engines, and one starts normally... then obviously the battery is okay. In either case (single or separate batteries), running good known jumper cables from a good known battery directly to the starter will tell you if the starter is at fault or not.

If you're sure that the battery and starter are okay, the cause of the problem is usually a loose cable/wire or a tight but dirty cable/wire end terminal. Remove and clean the terminal ends of all cables/wires associated with the starter system including the actual battery terminals. Also clean the components that the cables/wires attach to.

Let us know what you find

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Ran jumper cables from battery to starter and it turned over.

That indicates that the battery and starter are okay, the cause of the problem is usually a loose cable/wire or a tight but dirty cable/wire end terminal. Remove and clean the terminal ends of all cables/wires associated with the starter system including the actual battery terminals. Also clean the components that the cables/wires attach to

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Clicking would be the solenoid, so likely a connection issue (loose or corroded wiring). Use some sandpaper and shine all connectors (might as well do both engines while you are at it). I don't recall what plug system you have, but good idea to check there for corrosion. Shine up the male connectors, and use some electrical cleaner on the female connectors -- follow with some scraping with a small Phillips screwdriver. Flex the plug wiring a little and listen for any crunching, which would indicate corrosion. Clean and reconnect the ground at the powerhead as well.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
apply pure 12v from the bat to the selenoid control post

if it starts OK then the 12v from the start key may be inadequate (resistive due to corrosion or defect)

​and if it does not get the starter to turn and just clicks then the selenoid is bad as it does not transfer the incoming 12volts over to the output post ......going to the starter

Last edited:

Tom Lovette

Cadet
I've redone all the wire ends except the ground to the starter, It looked fine. When I reconnected it... still just a click. Could it be the selenoid? I'm going to try crosbymans idea and the connection on the key side. I can see that the other Motor has been complete redone from the selenoid to all wire ends.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
I've redone all the wire ends except the ground to the starter, It looked fine. When I reconnected it... still just a click. Could it be the selenoid? I'm going to try crosbymans idea and the connection on the key side. I can see that the other Motor has been complete redone from the selenoid to all wire ends.

any results after applying a good 12 v+ to the selenoid control post ??? if it get the starter to turn over no need to buy a selenoid !!