88 johnson 110 having fuel issues please help!

Bigjoe530

Cadet
I have been using the forum for help for a long time and have been able to fix most issues, but I am at my wits end! I have spent a lot of money replacing all the the electric system, stator, rectifier, power pack, coils, wires, and plugs. all of which I was able to do by reading old posts :) I disconnected the VRO and am running mix fuel. I started having fuel issues, at wot it would bog down and then die. First is was a air leak from the fuel filter. Then I discovered a dirty fuel filter, replaced that.I pulled and cleaned the carbs, which helped a lot. I installed a new water separator with new lines, new bulb, new connection plug to the motor. I thought that it might be the vro pump going bad, as the boat was able to run if we keep pumping the ball, so I ordered a straight fuel pump and eliminated the VRO. I capped the oil line going into the block. So everything has been replaced and I am sure I have no air leak from the tank to the fuel pump. So here is the current situation, the motor runs great right after pumping the bulb till its hard. After it starts to suck fuel into the motor, the bulb starts to go soft and then it will die from lack of fuel. The rate is kind of slow at low speed 5-8mph, and rapid at wot 30mph. We are once again able to pump the ball and keep it running at wot. I have been able to get this far without an owners manual, which I should probably buy. I really love any help or suggestions to the following, or any thoughts in general,

​So heres the question or questions,........... Does this model have a vapor separator, I have looked and cant see anything that would be it, but I have been wrong before, lol.

Is this fuel pump strong enough to pump enough fuel? Online it only shows one fuel pump for this model, but ive heard on here that the 6 cylinder needs two. This pump has only one inlet and one exit line that goes to the manifold for the carbs.

​Could it be the pick up in the tank? its a 30 gal tank and a pain in the butt to pull out and clean if that needs done

​Does it sound like just a air leak?

​This is for a 1988 Johnson 110 VRO, model number J110TLCCA

​BTW, I got this boat, 19ft Arima Sea Ranger with this motor from the guy who bought it new. Yes only one owner, which I thought would prevent all this work, but he wasn't very truthful about what was wrong, kind of said that it has always ran great, but started having an issue last time he took it out, which was 3 years ago. So I thought I was getting a good deal......... As they say, if its too good to be true it probably is!

​Also I have checked compression which was good in all cylinders.

​Once again I really appreciate any input, thank you in advance!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
So, when you switched to a pulse pump and capped the vacuum pulse port on the block where did you mount the new pump?

On many blocks you can find a pipe plug that can be removed (and then used to plug the vacuum that used to go to the air motor of the vro) and also find two threaded holes for the 1/4 x 20 cap screws (I could be wrong on the size of the fastener you will use, common sense will determine actual size to use) that you will use to mount your new pulse pump.

This will be easiest if you post a couple pics detailing where and how you mounted the new pump.

Bigjoe530

Cadet
I mounted it to where the vro pump was. The vro was mounted with three screws, I was able to use the bottom left hole to mount the new one.

I appreciate the response, I will take pics and post them in the morning

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
yep, gonna need pics. You realize that the pump needs a vacuum pulse going to it to operate?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
With only one line in and one out, this pump must be mounted directly on the intake manifold.-----As stated you remove the plug for the pulse port mount the pump with 2 screws and a gasket.---The 2 screws are 10-24 thread.----Find this location near the starter motor !!!----And have you done a compression test on this motor ?---They have a history of breaking piston rings.

Bigjoe530

Cadet
No Title

That just goes to show that you learn something every day. I read that it needed a vacuum pulse but didn't understand how to do it with only two ports, mounting it to the block explains the extra gasket and the hole in the back of the fuel pump. Now should I install this where the ports are facing up or down? The line I plugged going to the vro is right in the way....

Attachments

• photo281129.jpg
    photo281129.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281130.jpg
    photo281130.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281131.jpg
    photo281131.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0

Bigjoe530

Cadet
I feel kind of ridiculous now attempting to do it the way I did, my wife is sure going to get a good laugh at me for it, lol. Racerone, I did check compression, 112 on 3 cylinders and 116 one the 4th. I haven't done a leak down test

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do this.----Get the starter out of the way.---Gives you room to work and see what you are doing.-----Remove hose and pulse limiter.-----Plug the pulse limiter port.-----Install the pump in its proper place.----Re-arrage hoses as needed.---Install starter and go boating.

Bigjoe530

Cadet
Would the pulse limiter be the fitting at the end of the pulse line? Looks to be about 1inch

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why yes.----The pulse limiter is a flow fuse / safety device for the VRO pump.----Not needed with the regular pump.

Bigjoe530

Cadet
Thank you for the help, I did everything suggested, I removed the starter, pulled the limitor, plugged it, mounted the pump, hooked up the hoses, and whala, it's a purring beautiful! I'm going to put her in the water now, I'll check back in with how she runs at wot. Thank again

Bigjoe530

Cadet
On the water report, it's running awesome at wot, no stalling or loss of power. I'll post some pics when I get back